Sunday, October 08, 2006

Thank you for the Music

Wanted to add in something on my experience at Hampton Court, but on a very different note. Something closer to my heart...

Before I walked the grounds , I swung by the Palace Shop to browse a little whilst waiting for Dee to visit the Gents. As I walked up & down the aisles, glazing over shelf after shelf of palace memorabilia, was struck by the soft strains of music that suddenly filled the shop. As the music played on, I recognized the tune. It was Bizet's 'The Pearl Fishers' (or 'Au Fond du Temple Saint'), one of the most famous and beautiful operatic duets ever written for a tenor and baritone.

Listening to that oh-so-familiar opera piece filled me with indescribable nostalgia. I kept getting goosebumps with each undulating note. Why? Other than the fact that the music is so well composed, it also reminds me of my Dad. In fact, the very reason why I can identify this song is because of him. Through my growing up years, my dad intentionally or perhaps unintentionally, introduced my siblings and me to a wide gamut of music - from classical to country, pop oldies to musicals, choir singing and of course, opera. Without his influence, I wouldn't know Pucinni from Pachelbel, Tony Davies from Tony Bennett. I'd probably think Hadyn and Handel were one in the same person. So in a way, I thank God I am 'born into' such knowledge...

Anyway, back to 'The Pearl Fishers'. For those who haven't yet heard this beautiful operatic piece, do yourselves a favour - give it a go. Am sure like me, you'd fall in love not only with its dulcet tones, but the perfectly-blended baritone-tenor duet.

With this entry, I'd like to pay special tribute to my Dad...

Dad, thank you for introducing us to 'your' world of the greats - Mozart, Mario Lanza, Jim Reeves, and even contemporaries like Hayley Westenra, Michael Crawford etc. I think we sometimes take it for granted - this knowledge of music; this appreciation for songs that's been ingrained since young. Altho we are not music aficionados in the way you are, thank you for teaching us to appreciate music. For because of this, you've made our lives so much richer.

As I listen to 'The Pearl Fishers' over and over on my comp, memories of days where we sat on the sofa at home come to mind. On days where I'd bother to sit with you & enjoy the music you were playing, I'd tell you my personal favs - Nessun Dorma, O Mio Babbino Caro and of course, The Pearl Fishers. And you'd play them for me, even in different versions. Such memories do not come to me just because I am away from you now. They come to me even as I go about meeting the daily demands of life. And these are cherished memories I will hold onto forever.

I hope it made you happy having your daughter sit next to you, quietly appreciating music together.

I know it made me.

I love & miss you, Dad.

2 comments:

As The Deer said...

Heya Sylvia chi chi,

Your heartfelt posting really makes me wanna thank my Dad for introducing me to kickass oldies too. ^.^

My Dad is one generation younger than your Dad & not the opera appreciating sort. BUT he did introduce me to a different bunch of tunes by the Bee Gees, Elvis, Cliff Richard, Connie Francis, Skeeter Davis, ABBA, Jim Reeves, Eagles, and just about every other song you find on one of those Evergreen CDs in the shop. (I know more oldies than 80s music haha hence my childhood nickname OLDY MOULDY by the cruel little girls in school. =p)

My Dad doesn't have Uncle Freddy's rich baritone (WAH your Dad sounds like Captain Von Trapp!!) but he does have his nice tenor voice that makes karaoke-ing with him fun. My Dad loves karaoke. We've stopped coz we can't get the LD player to work anymore. Pity. I miss those days.

My Dad sang to Kae all the oldies he sang to me. Oldies have wit, a story and meaning that songs today lack. Kae was thus given the gift to appreciate music as well.

Actually ah...you know what? I WILL thank my Dad... =) Both the one in Heaven and the one on Earth. (Thank Daddy in Heaven that I am not tone deaf!! Hallelujah!) This gift of music is a really precious one. I cannot imagine life without music!

This reminds me of that old song by ABBA:

"Thank you for the music- the songs I'm singing. Thanks for all the joy their bringing! Who can live without it?- I ask in honesty. What would life be? Without a song or a dance what are we? So I say thank you for the music- for giving it to me!"

Saggs said...

Ya, i thot of that Abba song too that's why I used it for my entry title. Kekeke. Great minds think alike? Now go hug your Pa for the joy of music he's brought you!