Friday, October 06, 2006

The silly things Mummies do...

Beth told me once that "the sign of a truly 'good' mum is her ability to distract easily". Think on your feet, be creative, innovative...and fast!

Bathtimes are never predictable with Danielle. Some days she's like 'come along mummy!' and happily undresses herself. Other days, I'm short of clobbering her over the head, rendering her unconscious, then dumping her in the bathtub!

And it doesn't just stop there, once I'm able to get the bath going by blowing bubbles, singing silly songs, making even sillier conversations (cooing 'Doesn't this shower gel look like honey?', 'Oh look, Mummy's created a mohawk out of your (shampooed) hair!'), and creating lots & lots of suds, getting her out of the bath is another ordeal altogether. *rolley eyes*

Of late, I've had to dramatise our towel 'wrap up' sessions. I call her towel - 'The Hooded Towel!' (yes, I say it with exclamation mark and all the right theatrics). She's tickled by it and that's been successful in getting her all toweled up & snug under 'da hood'. Phew!

It's a good thing for her I like playing with accents. She has many 'Mummy(s)' to choose from that way. Perhaps it's Rodeo Mummy today, Fish Market Mummy tomorrow? Who knows? Whatever gets her going, I say!

(Hang on, disclaiming first - am NOT saying am a good mum, merely stating that the strive to be creative can sometimes lead mums to come up with zany, OTT quick-fix ideas! So there! Bleh.)

5 comments:

Pooh said...

hahahaa... soooo cuttteeeeee!
:)

As The Deer said...

"Come along Mummy." = adorable! Kae is more of a "I'm ready!" or "Let's kill the bugs!"

Yesh I understand how we need to be such entertainers in order to entice the kids to please mandi! We deserve Oscars/Emmys for our efforts haha.

Kae is a harder audience to please than your Nell I suspect...haha.

I blow bubbles using my hands to make huge ones the size of his head or that I can blow up to his height before they pop. I make up songs as well or we play "weather person"... itz raining, drizzling, tsunami, snowing (bubbles) according to his choice.

And some days, I will just carry him to the bathroom, strip him and bath him regardless of his protests and tears- coz those days he over plays his delay tactic card and the school bus is coming le.

Brushing teeth is another experience altogether. =p Does Danielle ever protest? Vivien, if you read this tell us about your experience with Joyce and Anna? =D

Saggs said...

Oh, dun get me started on brushing teeth! I have to cajole her with "mummy wants to tickle your teeth' or threaten 'no more cakes or sweet-sweets for you!'
Hai....

Anonymous said...

Btw I PERSONALLY think you are a FANTASTIC mommy...no questions asked!! No disclaimers necessary...

Hug hug,
B

As The Deer said...

Hahaha. ^.^

Kae likes to do it himself these days but he doesn't brush too good. So besides having to tolong him to brush his teeth, I later have to tolong him to let me check and rebrush out the bugs. (We call bathing and brushing teeth "bug busting" ^.^)


Itz tough coz whilst I am firm on the no bargaining about brushing teeth thingee, my parents can be heard hollering at me from their bedroom "Aiya he is tired already. One night dun brush never mind wan lah." So it kinda gives him the courage to protest.

And I am like riiiiight... one night becomes every night and he wakes up with breath that can wilt the flowers in a room should be breathe upon em.