Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bringing up Daughter Jekyll and Monster Hyde

The 'Terrible 2s' has got to be one of the most 'trying' times in a parent's life! No, wait a minute, I think teenage years might be far worse. Another shaky bridge to cross intrepidly when I inevitably get there! Adoi! (or "Santa Maria!" with a* slap on head*. A frequently-used exclamation by Brazilian actors on those awful soaps they used to screen on Ch 8! Gag!)


There are many facets to Danielle these days. On good days, she's all sugar & spice and yada-yada-yada, is suuuuper manjah, a complete angel. On bad, she stomps around like a mini Godzilla (my poor neighbours downstairs), throwing toys around when she doesn't get her way, mimicks 'I don't like it!' (I say that too often to her methinks) and pouts. And her pièce de résistance? She hurls herself on the floor and pretends to cry (well, I choose to believe it's 'put on' anywayz! Hmph!).

Scary eh? You haven't heard the end of it yet. This is one little cookie who certainly knows how to work her way to your heart, push ALL the right buttons, and charm the pants off you.

Example:
She tears up my magazines (thank goodness they are FOC!) or scribbles on them. Then upon seeing dark clouds loom above me, quickly runs to my side and in her most cutesy voice says, 'Shhh-orry Mummy!'.

Some days lagi manjah, she'll say 'sorry' then either hug me (with a 'pat-pat' on the back coz she knows how that makes Dee & me go weak in the knees!) or hold my hand. When I'm at the end of my tether, she widens those huge eyes in 'mock ignorance', flashes her brightest smile, or breaks into an infectious laughter that makes it hard for me to stay chafed at her.

Little conniver!!! *shake head*

But one thing's for sure, she definitely takes after me in being 'manjah'. At meal times, she leads me to a designated spot with 'Mummy, sit here' then promptly brings the 'cat pillow' (present from Cin and EeLin) and asks me to put it behind my back to 'relax'. For no rhyme or reason, she'll take my right hand and kiss the burn mark on it to make it 'feel better'. She takes out my red Nikes for me when we're going 'gai gai'. When I take a 'bite' from her oh-so-chubby right arm, she proffers me her left. Before she sleeps & we're lying side by side, we'll go through our ‘roll-call’ repeating, 'Mummy!, 'yes, Danielle?', 'Mummy!', 'yes, Danielle?', till one of us finally drops off to Zzz-land...

Geez... feeling all warm & fuzzy writing all this down.

Hang on, did I say she was a monster just now? Hmmm.... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Saggs, never said this to you but THANK YOU for offering us such an insight to the 'charms' & the 'trials' of being a parent... the anecdotes that you painstakingly find time to blog are amazing! I applaud the effort, dearie... It takes discipline...(i know coz i dun hve no 2-yr old AND still, i find time to skive off it?) Kudos to you for helping us keep in touch with you...

Hugs hugs...

As The Deer said...

Wahahaha

I know what you mean.

Kaelen comes in 2 "models" - Kae the sweet little angel and Kae who is like the Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes... when he is the latter I can feel the white hair sprouting out... keke

I rue the day I flipped through my favorite comic (ie Calvin and Hobbes) and uttered the day... it will be so cool if my son were like Calvin. lol.

Hang on in there. We adults too have our mood swings. So letz not cast the first stone whenever our kids upset us. Remember to speak edifying words to her always k? =)

Sometimes our kids are great mirrors. They learn from us some habits and when we see those habits in them we are like oh no! what have i done?? ^.^" *cold sweat*

Keep praying over the little princess and blessing her regardless. She'll turn out great because Christ is with her and His righteousness is in her! God will personally see to her spiritual education as He has taken care of ours.

All kids are manjah lah anyway... haha weren't we all cheeky little monkeys at some point? (except maybe ur brother right haha ur parents always declare that the cane collected dust when he came into being haha)