Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The 'Misdemeanors' of a thrifty housewife? Perhaps not...

Told trusty old 'Thrift' to 'take a hike!' today. Virtually defenseless to put up a struggle (pauper that he is, heehee), he packed his crummy bag and left my psyche... not without rolling his eyes at me first, of course.
Okok, ignore my weak attempt at prose there - and no, didn't end up splurging all that much really. Just thought I did, seeing the unusual number of receipts stuffed in my wallet.

Treated myself to a plant and a 2nd-hand baking dish today. Been meaning to buy a plant for the longest time. Then, inspired by Meiling's gift of 2 bulbs of spring flowers to me the other day, I decided to get a second flowerpot and another plant to 'liven' the house. Check out my 'Shuang Xi' pot which I picked up from Salvation Army yesterday! It was quite a steal. And don't you think it's ala 'The Life Shop'? The purple African daisies are from Sainsbury's. Apparently, they are good 'indoor' plants so let's hope they survive under my care! *fingers crossed* There are heaps of 'spring flower' bulbs for sale now and I'm sooo tempted to get some daffodils as well. They are simply the prettiest yellow flowers. Andy (Meiling's hubby) says daffodils are the first flowers to bloom in Spring so whenever you see daffodils out in bloom, you'd know Spring is here... :)

Total 'damage' for today:
  • 1 pot African Daisies
  • 1 baking dish from Trinity Hospice Charity (for casseroles and pie-making)
  • 2 x stamps for snail mail
  • 10 x small pks Trick or Treatin' goodies (Meiling says this pagan festival (Halloween) is V BIG with kiddies here so better be prepared, sekali lao kui)
Danielle saw me fill the supermarket basket with Halloween treats and badgered me into buying these 'Jack O lantern glasses' for her. I must say, she looks quite cute in them! Heeheehee!

Other unrelated news:
Inspired by the burst of sunshine (hooray!) this morning, I brought Danielle out on an 'adventure trip' to nearby Clapham North. All this while, I've been frequenting Balham, Tooting Bec or staying within Clapham South/Clapham Common, so have scarcely been on a real walkabout round Clapham North.











We actually viewed an apartment in Clapham North when we first arrived to the UK. Seeing it again today strengthened my resolve that we made the right choice with our apartment. Take a look (pix above). This could've been the area around the Chan abode. Shudder!

Clapham North is v popular with yuppies because of the large number of trendy restaurants and watering holes that line the thoroughfare. However, it is located close to Brixton, a suburb that's not exactly on the 'right side' of town, if you catch my drift. Incidentally, Mabes used to work at Brixton and whilst it holds true to its reputation, she says it is quite an interesting suburb to visit. Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a go one day... with Dee in tow, of course.

3 comments:

As The Deer said...

Nell looks simply adorable in them glasses! I MISS HALLOWEEN/GUY FAWKES NIGHT in UK coz of the fireworks that go off.

I went trick or treating with my friends and we got loads of chocs then haha. Yum!

U must visit Brighton next Summer k? Haha Dun think U got to go check it out. (http://www.brighton.co.uk/)

Clapham south does seem like a nicer neighbourhood to live in. =) Esp since Danielle's with you guys. These pics remind me a little of some of the more industrial parts of Hove.

As The Deer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pooh said...

danni looks so cute & happy with her mask. :)