Thursday, October 19, 2006

Safe in A Crazy World

Music/songs play an integral part of my life as seen peppered all over my blog. But some songs stand out more than others - the ones that always have that special effect on you.

For me, 'Safe in a Crazy World' - my fav song by Corrinne May - never fails to tug at my heartstrings. I honestly don't know whether Corrinne May had God in mind when she wrote it, but I'd like to think she did. Coz whenever I listen to this song, I invariably think of God. To me, this is a song of hope, a song of love, a song of promise that despite Life's ups and downs, God will never leave you...

My crazy world is filled with milk powder, diapers, screams, & hollers - where a 2 YO cries incessantly when sent to school, who runs out of the schoolgate to get away, who screams for me not to leave her, who refuses to get out of the shower, who messes up my cooking, whose dribble gets all over the sofa, who rolls on the floor for attention or in insolence, who demands I carry her even when my back and arms are killing me, whose crankiness brings out the worst in both of us, who doesn't know how trying & painful being her mummy is sometimes. It is a noisy world where vigor & patience wear thin & inevitably, give way to helplessness and hopelessness. And I start to wonder whether I have it in me to carry on...

Then just when I feel like I'm in desperate need of reprieve, there God is. For one who does all the cradling at home, it's nice to be cradled for a change.

There is no more need for words here. The lyrics say it all...

Safe in a Crazy World
I try to smile my tears away,
I try to keep my cool.
Oh but one more door gets in my way
I feel like such a fool
Trampled and bitter,
My heart just wants to bleed and stop believing in me.

It feels like nothing is for certain
and that nothing comes for free
When they're lowering the curtain to the theatre of my dreams
I stumble and i crumble and I'm sinking to my knees for you
You cradle me

You keep me flying
You keep me smiling
You keep me safe in a crazy world
You understand me
Embrace my fragility
You keep me safe in a crazy world
And in your arms I find the strength to believe in me again

Noise keeps chasing me
No matter where I go
Oh and life likes pretending that it's on a TV show
When it's hard to tell what's real
From what the world just wants to preach
You are the voice I seek

You keep me flying
You keep me smiling
You keep me safe in a crazy world
You understand me
Embrace my fragility
You keep me safe in a crazy world
And in your arms I find the strength to believe in me again

'cause when I'm wrapped up in your arms
Nothing else can touch me
What a wonderful way to recharge
I feel like I can breathe again

You keep me flying
You keep me smiling
You keep me safe in a crazy world
You understand me
Embrace my fragility
You keep me safe in a crazy world
And in your arms I find the strength to believe in me again

* Corrinne May's Christmas album 'The Gift' will be launched early Nov 06. Listen to some of her new tracks here.

2 comments:

As The Deer said...

Ok at the concert she told us she had a horrid day... and when she came back and her hubby sayanged her, everything just melted away. =)

So it was inspired by and written for her husband. ^.^

But I am sure her first love is God anyways so ya applicable to Daddy first and foremost.

I can't wait for Beautiful Seed to come out... hope it comes out in this album!!

Saggs said...

i wish I could go for her concert! 16 Dec, I think?