Monday, October 02, 2006

A Letter to My Daughter

My dearest Danielle

Today was your first day at school! The school Mummy chose for you is Lochinvar Pre-School Playhouse down Oldridge Road, not far from our house.

Although today was your BIG DAY, Mummy ended up being more jittery than you! In fact, Mummy was nervous a WHOLE week back! Yes, your Mummy has 'issues' (learn this term, you might use it alot next time! Haha!)

As Mummy put the little hippo bag (containing extra diapers & a change of clothes for your teachers) on your shoulders, it dawned on me that you're REALLY growing up! You know those times when Mummy gets frustrated with you when your having one of your 'moments'? Despite that, I will sorely miss you at this age. You bring alot of joy to Mummy and Papa's lives, you know that?

Papa even took the morning off just to see you to school. You're one lucky girl to have both Mummy and Papa walk you to school today. :)

I think you knew you were going to be 'dropped off' when we walked into the school compound. You clung onto Mummy's legs and were v careful not to let Papa or Mummy out of your sight. Astute little girl, aren't you?

Soon it was time for us to go. We had to leave you there so you can learn to play with other little kids and have fun. We accompanied you for a little while during 'Story Time', but the minute you were not looking, we crept away. We soon heard you howling for us but heart-wrenching though it was, we took great pains resisting going back to comfort you. But it made Papa and Mummy's heart ache to hear you cry...

As Mummy and Papa walked home, we kept thinking how scared you must be, hugging your school bag, and not understanding why we'd left you. Did you think we would not come back for you?

2.5 hrs later, it was time for us to fetch you. We practically ran to the school. Not sure whether the rush was more to 'rescue' you or to 'save' ourselves from all that anxiety! The teacher told us you took quite awhile to settle down and that you cried for a rather long time. :( But when Papa and Mummy went to get you from the play area, we were happy to see you jumping on the trampoline with another little friend. It made us very happy to see you enjoying yourself & having fun.

My favourite moment that day was when you sighted Mummy at the gate. Your whole face lit up & you bounded towards me and leapt into my arms! So manjah! After that, it was all kisses and hugs between us! Later, I asked you whether you enjoyed school and you said, 'Ya'. You also told me you 'ate pizza at school'. That's good!

You must've been exhausted from your first day coz you quickly dozed off as Mummy wheeled you home. As I carried you up the steps to our house, Mummy thought how proud I was that you 'survived' your first day at school. I know you will soon make many friends and have lots of fun!

But even as you grow bigger day by day, I want you to know that you'll always be Mummy's little girl, Mummy's little 'boo-boo'. :)

xxoo

Mummy
2 Oct 2006

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Saggs

What a milestone in little Danielle! Even me - just an Aunty feels a measure of pride lookg at the little 'un walk to school with her cutesy bag and all...

I like that you wrote this in letter-format for her...and guess what, I was thinking exactly of doing exactly the same ... just to pen down these pensive thoughts as they come... so what they say is true... 'birds of a feather flock together'! Bleh!!

Hugs,
B

As The Deer said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Yea man I understand the jitters rofl. Haha. U should have seen me 2 years ago. Lol.

U know ah... I think we will always be jittery for our kids throughout our lives haha... but remember (and here goes Geri the lor sor again) Perfect Love casts out ALL fear! Hehe. So don't ever have to worry just cast our kids on to our Daddy!

I am so proud of Danielle and I think she is so blessed to have such lovely parents. Dennis is a fun dad and you are such a wonderful mummy!

I think it is uber cool that her classmates are of such a diverse mix of races. It is a really wonderful experience and something i really pray Kae will have in the future. I never want my kid to grow up in a predominantly Chinese school like I did... it is important in our day and age to learn tolerance and understanding for everyone even if their culture and skin colour differs from ours.

Lastly, a congratulatory letter for the little sweetheart:

Heya Danielle, Aunty Geri here.

Enjoy your time in your lovely school! A trampoline WOW! Kaelen has never been on one before. You must tell him all about it. His experience is limited to jumping on his mummy's bed. haha.

I think you are so blessed to have parents who took so much care and love to pick the best school for you to blossom in.

You are growing into a truly beautiful girl both inside and outside & I pray Jesus will bless you with a great faith, wisdom, hope, discernment, joy, peace, good health, prosperity and LOTS of love as you grow older with each passing day.

Your Ah Gu Ian misses you a lot and worries all the time that his darling niece has forgotten him (haha) and Kaelen misses one of his favorite playmates. He also misses your very fun daddy and mummy.

Kaelen has been hard at work today and drew another picture for you! We're putting it in the post tomorrow... hope you will like his picture!

Have fun and be brave in school. You know no matter what, your parents will always love you and take you home so don't ever worry ok?

I miss you and look forward to hugging you again soon!

Love Aunty Geri

Anonymous said...

Dearest Qiubio,
It's wonderful to see how McNelle has grown (learning new words and phrases, sitting herself on top of the toilet bowl, going to school...).

Reading your updates makes me feel a tinge of sadness that we're not there to witness all these changes. However, it's great that you have been so detailed with the accounts of the different adventures and milestones, esp. accompanied by great photos, that it does make me feel better.

So glad that my little niece survived her first day at school! And that you let her carry the hippo bag that we got her. If it's a little too wide at the shoulders (it is for Hui who has the same bag in a different colour), use a safety pin (baby one so that it has safety features) to pull the straps together. Don't know if you understand what I mean.

About parents' jitters concerning their kid's first day of school, I think you and Dennis did very well. Pat yourselves on the back! Hui's school principal said that sometimes the grandparents and mummies are more distraught than the little kids, and they are the ones who end up bawling their eyes out! Great that Dennis took time off -- good that he gave Danielle and you moral support.

Anyways, I'm so proud that my little McNelle has grown up...hope to be able to see her soon.

Love,
McMrsHoratio