Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Pandora's Box of Memories

In Greek mythology, Pandora (meaning 'all gifts') was created by the Greek gods to be 'a poisoned gift for man'. She was given several traits/gifts by different gods but the most significant one, and what she's famed for, was a 'pithos' (or storage jar) given to her by either Hermes or Zeus.

Until then, mankind had lived a life in a paradise without worry. Epimetheus told Pandora never to open the jar she had received. However, Pandora's curiosity got the better of her and she opened it, releasing all the misfortunes of mankind - plague, sorrow, poverty, crime, despair, greed, vice, old age, sickness, insanity, spite, passion (why this is a misfortune evades me?), and famine.
- adapted from Wikipedia
In the same way Pandora had a box which held in all of Life's misfortunes, I believe we should all have our own locked-up box of memories. Why? Because there are memories that are better off stored away, un-visited, and hopefully, forgotten through time.

Why do I write this? I don't know...just felt like it I guess. It's something that's been occupying my mind since the weekend. Or perhaps a certain blog entry I read was the trigger...

Memories are, for lack of a better word, paradoxical? Some make us feel on top of the world - put the BIGGEST smiles on our faces, make us laugh out loud in public as if deranged, or heave a HUGE sigh of relief when we recall that much-loved tune. Others bring us down to the doldrums - make us shed a tear, contrition or regret, pensive and lost.

Sad memories are a persistant ache that never seems to go away.

For me, I'd like to think I can obliterate my unhappy memories. Banish them to the far corners of my mind where I'd like them to remain. I've had mistakes I cannot mend, regrets I cannot make up for, people I don't want to cross paths with, ever. Such regretful and repugnant bygone days are enough for me to wish myself amnesia, just so I can forget.

But for some, sad memories are retained so they'll never forget those they've lost along the way - the ones they've loved, but lost.

Being a sentimental person myself, I recognize the need to cling onto such memories. Keeping the memory alive is like telling yourself the person never left. That he or she is still around, is beside you, holding your hand, telling you they love you. It seems almost ironical, but I guess sad memories can be happy as well? For the mere memory of all the things you ever did with that one so cherished, is certainly bittersweet.

For in that one, brief moment, it seems like they're there with you, and yet no longer...

Whilst I empathise with the need to retain certain sad memories, I think 'a step back' needs to be taken to see whether such memories stymie our ability to move on and lead happy, fulfilled lives. If certain memories are impeding the way you lead your life, perhaps putting such thoughts in cold storage might do you good once in awhile?

Surely, it would be a graver mistake to live your life in the past, and never venture out to conquer the future?

Perhaps memories are like merry-go-round(s), they can go on and on (if we want them to)... but just as we choose when to hop on, we should know when to hop off. We shouldn't let memories bring us around in endless circles. For it's one thing to recollect sad memories, it's another to brood incessantly till one day, you begin to relish dwelling in them.

Now, what would I do if placed in such a situation? Being so emotion-driven, I wonder whether I'd choose to stay on or hop off that gloomy merry-go-round of memories I'd have undoubtedly put myself on? Knowing me, I'd probably have amassed the most depressive of memories to ensure multiple rides down a dismal memory lane! I shudder at the thought of the damage I'd inflict on my life - living it like there's no tomorrow. It would be such a sad, hopeless existence...

Pardon the ramblings of this rather reflective woman. It's probaby brought on by continuous rain and a cold night.

As much as I have tried to pyschoanalyse, I'm no Sigmund Freud here. I guess what I want to say is one does hold the key to one's own future. No, I stand corrected - God holds the key to our future. But He doesn't influence free will. He cannot influence if we choose to lose ourselves in our own memories and misery. But because He is a God of Grace, He promises hope for the future. And that is something worth thinking about.

It's an uneasy decision that requires some soul-searching perhaps. But ask yourself whether it's time to lock up certain memories in your Pandora's Box and maybe, throw away the key?

2 comments:

As The Deer said...

Ah yes... the weather in UK does these things to one's emo esp the ladies'.

BIG HUGS...

Emotions are great things. They are the things that make us understanding mummies and intuitive partners. They help us love God with a passion and sing praises with wild abandonment.

I believe every experience in our lives have added to, rather than subtracted from, who we are right now. Every good and every bad.

I fear if we should choose to lock all the bad in pandora's box, we won't be able to empathise with the pain of another and be able to share and intercede for them because we would no longer understand what is the meaning of grief, what tears are and why they come into being... We won't be able to fully understand God's grace in our lives! Isn't that scary??

If we had not gone through persecution in our souls and understood sorrow, we wouldn't understand how wonderful God's amazing grace is when He sent Christ to shoulder all of it for us and nail every bad thing in our lives on the cross. Our joy would be diminished.

Romans 5: 20a-21
But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Sin doesn't always refer to what we personally do wrong but also to the persecution accorded us by people we care for. And whether we have sinned against others or others have sinned against us, the grace increases more and more... because we find our strength and our healing in Christ!

ONLY in our weakness, can He be strong for us!

Don't let the gloom get into your heart too much =) Let it out, let it go and let God sayang you and tell you how proud He is of you for having gotten so far.

Praise God for loving us so much... that even whilst we were sinners, He sent Christ to die for us upon the Cross. Praise God for sending us children to help us laugh and appreciate his unfailing love for us. Praise God for sending us wonderful other halves to share the load when it gets too heavy.

I also thank Him for curing me of my depression (boy was I severely depressed in UK coz I was still drifting in my faith and lost) and for helping me walk ahead spiritually whilst using my painful experiences to better minister to another's hurt.

Be of good cheer sister... =) All is well with you in Him... ALWAYS. =)

Saggs said...

Haha, am not depressed. Just reflective. This pc was written more for a friend...