Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Power of a Praying Wife

The title of a book I haven't yet read but feel I shd, especially now. Andrew has already purchased a copy for me, I think...?

Been meaning to write something about my hubby-man for awhile now. But undoubtedly, my experiences with Danielle consume my blog more since I spend more waking hours with her, than I do my own husband.

'McDee' has been feeling rather 'defeated' - no, more like 'cheesed off' of late. Work's been getting him down and although we do pray about it together, it's still been 'challenging' at work.

Perhaps he's feeling the stretch from all that travelling. He's been in and out of Bournemouth every week now - clearing work, shovelling out the 'shit'. If he were French, he'd prob say he's up to his ears in merde.

Many a time, he feels helpless because he's been placed in the least ideal of situations - doing the partner's 'pet project'; yet having a partner who is hard, unsympathetic, quick to judge, brutal in his remarks and is careless to his staff. The redeeming part is he is like that to ALL his staff. But this, coupled with the fact that he has inexperienced staff and is new himself, seems as though Dee has landed himself an avalanche of misfortunes.

For the first time here, I saw a v worn man go to work. He didn't see me look out from the window as he made his way to the Tube station, but I saw him - shoulders bent, like the weight of the world was on his shoulders...

It really pains me to see him like this. And I am virtually 'powerless' to help? Told him I feel like he's got the shorter end of the stick by coming here coz he not only has to be the sole bread-winner, he still gets less time with Danielle and his wife (tho' markedly better as compared to Singapore). I, on the other hand, get to experience a somewhat psuedo 'tai-tai' life, spend heaps of time with our daughter and on occasion, get to explore every 'nook and cranny' of our borough! I'm not trying to run down what I do here (since being a stay-at-home mum is no joy ride too), but I can't help but feel guilty that he suffers at work whilst I stay at home and enjoy 'the good life'?

When he shared with me his constraints and frustration at work, I told him I was the last person to be able to dish out good advice. Why? Coz unlike him, I'm easily defeated. He, on the other hand, gripes all he wants but end of day, is one to exhaust even his last breath to finish off a race. And that's something I've always admired about him. He's not a 'quitter'. He doesn't give up without a fight. But even the strongest of soldiers tire out from the strains of war...

The only way I can help alleviate his stress is to be a good and supportive wife - make sure he doesn't need to worry about household matters, ensure he comes back to a chirpy 'welcoming party', warm meals, a cosy house. But my best show of support is to pray unceasingly for him.

As he resumes work in the coming week, please join me in praying for him...

Prayer requests:

  • That he remembers to rely on God, trust Him whole-heartedly (God's timing and plans), and be faithful servant
  • That he'll be able to articulate his points across clearly to staff and partner (the way we put our points across seem to differ from the English??? Absolutely beyond me!?)
  • That he'll be able to handle/manage his partner well
  • That he'll be a good leader to his surbordinates, assistance to his peers
  • That he'll be an asset to his team/company
  • That he remain focused, diligent, unwavering
And lastly but most importantly,
  • That in all things, he does his best for the glory of God, not for himself.

2 comments:

As The Deer said...

Heya Chi Chi (can I call U that?) ...

I know how U feel. (cuddles)

During the whole year that Ian was stuck with D project, I saw him bruised and dejected... all joy drained from his eyes. And his answers to the question "Are U ok?" was always a very sad "No."... wah I felt so helpless then as well. So BIG HUGE HUGGLES from us... we truly empathise with the situation.

Agree with you that there is power in the praying wife. i read that book before and there are so many examples ot praying wives it in the bible that attest to this as well. (Haha that is why I told ian " U better promote me so i can pray better for you also! U dun see a book called 'The Power of a Praying GF' ya?" ^__^" )

"God never puts us in situations that are too great for us to handle" & "even this too shall pass." - sound familiar? Wonderful advice you both gave us that we now pray over you both!

Do pray also for the overbearing dude that is antagonizing Dennis! Coz when we pray for God to grace the guy and for our Heavenly Daddy to cause that person to change and to favour Dennis, God can make it happen!

Here comes our testimony again: Remember Vik? He was a right meanie to the entire lot of people working on the D project.

Well, I prayed one night that God will cause him to favour Ian. And that morning, Ian told me how he was told that Vik likes him and would like to work with him again on a personal basis someday! Whether this sentiment lasts or not right now (am sure in Daddy it will), it is still proof that GOD did work his mojo on the dude who was very very 'one kind' for the darn longest time.

Do tell Denise to praise God and to be joyful in the Lord even at the end of a crappy day. We are graced in our joy and the family is blessed in this joy too. Never let sorrow overwhelm you so much that it covers the family in it as well. Gives the devil a chance to put a foot in the door and bring about oppression... shut that door to him. We pray that your whole family will find joy in the Lord even in the darkest times and in the joy, find God's grace touching you all. We pray that as you lift up all your cares to Jesus to nail on the cross, the Glory of the Lord will manifest in your lives!

Remember always that the path of the righteous man becomes brighter and brighter unto the promised day and because we have been made righteous in Christ and we have been justified through His death, we are the righteous and that promise is definitely for us! So when we tell God "bey tahan liao" HALLELUJAH! That is as far as the devil can go to antagonise you and the way after that is up and up through Christ ^.^

So count the many blessings great and small and rejoice over them! And feel free to shout out to Daddy in Heaven for help or to cry out to Him in the most broken of spirit. He really hears and He really will act upon it!

Share with you excerpts from a daily devotion (will email it to U as well):

Let’s look at the word “grace” when it is first mentioned in the Bible. Genesis 6:8 says that “Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord”. Noah’s name means “rest”. So the verse is telling us that rest found grace! In other words, when you rest, you find grace!

So grace was upon Jesus because His life was a life of rest and trust in His Father. He said, “The Son can do nothing of Himself. He can do only what He sees His Father doing.”(John 5:19)

Likewise, grace comes upon you when you rest and trust God. If you have a wayward child, stop nagging him and trust God to handle the problem. Say, “Jesus, I commit this boy into Your hands. I cannot control him. You can.” If you have a persistent pain in your body, bring it to the Lord. Say, “Jesus, I hand all my worries about this pain to you. You work on the pain.”

“Pastor, what if nothing happens?”

Honestly, if after you have given the matter to Jesus and nothing happens, what can you do? If Jesus Himself can’t do anything about it, do you think you can? But praise God, once the problem is handed over to Jesus, He can and will do a perfect work of taking care of it for you!

So live a life of rest. Have this attitude and tell the Lord, “I can do nothing of myself. I just rest in You Lord, and I trust You.” And what you will see is the grace of God upon you and every situation in your life!


Our prayers are definitely with U and Dennis in this period of trials and adjustments !!

Don't worry Dennis: "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me (Jesus) you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I (Jesus) have overcome the world.” - John 16:33"

Hope that our encouragements and prayers will comfort you and Dennis. SHALOM!

As The Deer said...

OH YES... please pray Psalm 91 faithfully upon waking and before sleeping each day too. =) Cover yourselves with the blood of Christ as you pray it too. Very very very powerful and uplifting Psalm... =)