Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Roadtrip to Cambridge...

We stayed the night @ the Lanes on Friday coz we'd planned a mini roadtrip to Cambridge the following day. Yes, home to the dreaded GCE papers!

But backtracking abit first, I MUST give special mention to Meiling's drool-worthy sambal stingrays! I didn't even know Sainsbury's sold them (the stingrays, not the sambal)! Incredulous! It was a wonderful treat having such local 'comfort food' on a cool, autumn night. Of course, my pet buffalo seized the opportunity to take more than a swig of Guinness, again. The Lanes being Irish and all, he feels compelled to 'do as the Romans do'! Sure sure, excuses...*rolley eyes*

Meiling's the one who first introduced us to the world of dessert with cream. Now every time we have dessert, we have to have a dollop of cream, on the side. By dairy standards, there are several rungs to cream. Right at the bottom, we have single cream, then whipped cream, double cream, super double, clotted... and in another camp, we have creme fraiche, sour cream... the list seems endless. My personal favs are clotted and super thick double cream.

But what about your calorie counting, Saggs?

Stuff 'em
, I say! When it comes to dessert, there's always room for sinful indulgence! I'll just... erm, avert the gaze from what's behind me?

We always have hearty meals @ the Lanes. Meiling is a fabulous cook & takes pride in cooking up a storm for each meal. On Saturday morning, she prepared a full Irish breakfast for us - fried bacon, fried eggs, fried sausages and special Irish soda bread. Fried, of course. Fab on the tastebuds, disastrous to the waist-line! But I ate with my eyes closed so that helped somewhat. :P

The drive to Cambridge from Harpenden took slightly over an hour. I really enjoy such quiet drives along the countryside, where all around you see autumn trees clothed in hues of gold and brown...

The scenary in Cambridge is, should I say, sublime? And ergo, very condusive for studying? Heehee. It's a beautiful town filled with pretty buildings, gorgeous colleges, extensive parks and quaint little windy streets for one to explore. As it was a Saturday, we were lucky the markets were open too.













King's College, MM Lee's Alma Mater(?) is simply magnificent. I walked the grounds with goosebumps, in awe that people actually study here. I can so imagine students walking the cobbled grounds on graduation day - looking all proud and dignified in their ceremonial cloaks and mortarboards. What a proud day it must be for them!

As we walked further into the college grounds, we were drawn to sounds of laughter from a bridge ahead. There, we saw people taking leisurely rides on river barges. Very Venician, with 'gondoliers' rowing down the river canal. Didn't know how much it'll have cost to take a ride but it sure looked like fun. Will definitely try to visit Cambridge again, time permitting.

Postscript: We are very fortunate Andy and Meiling like Danielle and try to incorporate her into their lives. They bought this special spill-free beaker for her to use at their place! And when they went househunting recently, the lack of railings on the stairs at a house they quite liked became a consideration coz they were afraid of Danielle's safety for when she visits!

1 comment:

As The Deer said...

Ummm if not wrong ah... I was told our GCEs doesn't come from Cambridge University itself but the Press that was named after it or something like that. ROFL. Kenah cheated feeling when we were told that by a teacher.

I miss Cambridge. I went for an interview there for the English Literature course but fumbled coz I couldn't memorise and regurgitate my favorite poem by Sylvia Plath. It is a lovely place though. I wish I could have stayed longer. Unfortunately, I had to rush to London after the time in Cambridge to get on the plane for Singapore. I had decided at the last minute to try for Cambridge (haha)- just for the heck of it. My Literature Lecturer/ Vice Principal of the college wanted me to give it a shot coz he felt I could make it. Too bad about my bad memory lah... I cannot even memorise the poems that I write lor. Haha. It's probably even worse now.

I will never forget having my breakfast in the dining hall. It was totally medieval-like and I was so awestruck by the sight. The table! The chairs! So ornate and grand! And the stage where the Professors dine... WOW. It looked just like Harry Potter's dining hall in Hogswart (for lack of a better visual comparison ^^" ).

When I was waiting for my turn, I was just picturing what it would be like to sit by the river and compose poetry during breaks in the class.

I miss England. I wrote some of the nicest stuff there. Perhaps it's the 4 seasons and the emos it invokes. Whatever it is, I miss it. I dream of England quite often haha.