Monday, September 18, 2006

Thrift Shopping tis Good Shopping!

Since coming over & living on a budget (dare I say 'shoestring'?), have found thrift shops a wonderful 'treasure trove' for cheap yet good buys, especially kiddy stuff! :) Call me 'el-cheapo' but I stand by my decision that there's nothing wrong buying thrift. In fact, it may be a good thing coz all proceeds go to the charitable organisation? I rest my case. Heehee :)

So far, I've bought 2 books for Danielle (59p and 25p) and 2 long-sleeved tops (75p and a quid). The tops I bought are relatively new and are from Elle and Gap. Not bad eh? And the best part? I only pay a fraction of the price! 'Tis good, I tell ye!

The thrift shops I frequent are within walking distance from my place, in the Balham area. There's Salvation Army, Cancer Research Centre and Cancer Foundation. All of them sell pretty decent and 'almost-new' stuff. Even branded! So unlike the Cash Convertors or The Salvation Army we have back home, where most things look grubby or tatty! It's become a thrill for me, visiting these stores. Every week, I eagerly look out for what's new on the shelves. And every week, I anticipate chancing on that rare and wicked find... :)

Geri said she, too, enjoyed shopping at thrift shops whilst studying in the UK. Her favourite was OXFAM. I hvn't frequented that one too much. The nearest outlet to me is in Tooting Bec (aka 'Little India'). Will try to pop by one day to chk it out.

Currently, I hv my eye on a brown Zara cardigan costing 2.50pounds for Danielle at Salvation Army! Perhaps I'll get it in my next 'thrift shopping' spree! Yippee!

4 comments:

As The Deer said...

Haha like your blog I am turning all green with envy =D

Miss shopping in UK so much!! =D

Look out for some branded guy's shirts that are decently priced in those stores for Ian ha ha ^.^

But yea most of the clothes are so new coz ppl there wear one season then toss out so they can buy new clothes the next season.

Singaporeans are like that la... they will only be willing to part with their clothes if they have gone mostly tatty or orh biang. =p

Saggs said...

I knew it! I knew something like that would come from you! Hehehehehe!
I wash ALL the clothes before putting on her lah, dun worryth. :P

Anonymous said...

he.. hee.. is that the same step who does not sit on toilet bowls..:)

But the best part of shopping at these stores is that you outsmart, outprice those pple who bought the clothes at 500% mark-up price..:)

Good job coupon-cutting, loyalty card collecting mummy..

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry...i couldn't STOP luffing at Steph's comment!!! Ahahahaha....

Here we all are - gushing over what GOOD BUYS these branded clothes are....and guess what! Our very own Hygiene Police comes out with her "pls soak the clothes in Alcohol before putting them on her!"

You know...whatever it is, I'd have to say Steph is really in a class of HER VERY OWN man!!