Monday, September 25, 2006

Mabes in London (Day numero tres)

Finally, I get down to writing my last instalment on Mabes' visit. I must confess I was putting it off coz was still suffering from the 'repercussions' of her leaving. :( I know... issues! *roll eyes at self*

Our last day with Mabes started early. Since we had to go to church (service at 930am), Mabes made it a point to get up earlier for her jog. I told her we'd probably still end up late for church coz from experience, the Chans always seem to dawdle a lot? And as expected, we were. Late. Think we left home at 915am?!!

It was an 'all sessions' service at All Souls that Sunday. That meant everyone - from babies to geriatrics- would attend the same service. No creche, no Sunday School, no Youth Fellowship. The sermon was good, covering the book of Ruth. The tagline for the sermon was, 'It looks like a mess, but God will surely bless!' Amen to that! Mabes thought the sermon was applicable to all the girls...

After service, Mabel suggested we visit one of her fav suburbs while living in the UK - Hampstead. She said there are loads of cafes and nice boutiques (read: expensive) and we could have a delightful brunch before heading to Winnie/Poh's at East Finchley.

Thoughts on Hampstead:
Definitely a breeding ground for yuppies, young families, well-heeled and the like. Not so much Posh Spice but perhaps, Jaime Oliver types? Pretty sidewalks, cafes, fashion boutiques, women in shades driving swanky SUVs, men dressed in designer togs... and quite dishy too, some of 'em! Drool... :P

Mabes reckons if you want 'Quintessential English', head to Hampstead. Pour moi, what I liked best were the 'children-friendly' cafes/restaurants. C'est genial*!

(*Ok, I don't why I keep breaking into French. Prob surrounded by too many of them on a daily basis? But that's another story...)

Back to Mabes. She wanted to bring us to 'Giraffe', a safari- inspired cafe (hence name? No, am just kiddin') but the queue was soooo long, we had no choice but to head elsewhere. Down the road was Carluccio's (remember day out with Toon Ling?), and after deliberating on a wood-oven pizza place or there, we decided on the former. Good choice too, coz Danielle was able to amuse herself with crayons and leave us to eat in peace for a bit! But she spilled orange juice all over herself later and exasperated (at least I was!), we hopped into Baby Gap (read: wallet horror!) to buy her a new top! :( Spent 'good' money (12 pounds!!! *faint*) on first-hand Gap t-shirts! What a waste! Couldn't sight thrift shops in the vicinity or else...

After Hampstead, we hopped into a cab to East Finchley to visit Winnie & Poh. East Finchley is north of London and a very family-oriented suburb. Anyway, we decided on a cab becoz certain services on the Northern line (Tube) were terminated to make way for weekend 'upgrading'. Plus, Mabes didn't know how to get there by bus... so next hassle-free option - the London cab, again! We only spent about an hour at Winnie/Poh's though. Mabes had a flight to catch and needed to be back at Clapham by 4ish. So after chit-chatting abit, getting acquainted with their beautiful 9mth old, Joshua, & gorgeous feline, Forest*, we headed home.

By that time was feeling 'butterflies' in my stomach knowing that Mabes would be leaving me soon... And before I knew it, I was saying goodbye to her at the Victoria station... :(

It was so good to have a close friend visit. I can't quite describe the feeling? But her leaving made me miss Singapore all over again.

* I miss my Bambi!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey.. we miss you too..:( Dun worry, we will take turns to visit you so you will have a steady stream of visitors..:) So happy to see danni wearing my bellero everywhere she goes. And hey, your baby deserve at least 1 good Gap shirt so dun beat yourself over it..:)

Anonymous said...

Am logging in them KrisFlyer miles - you hang in there!!

Hehehehehe...I miss you LOADs too!!

Hugs a duck!

B

As The Deer said...

Haha understand why you so sim tiah about the shirt. At least it was 12 pounds.

When Kae was a baby and had a diaper explosion all over his mummy in TAKASHIMAYA no less and on the expensive clothes floor, I had to buy a dress to wear and it was the cheapest there ($75??) and I've NEVER worn it again.

At least I am sure Danielle will fully utilise her Gap tee. Haha.