Saturday, September 09, 2006

One small victory for me... but a Mammoth one for the Oyster Fair!

Slept late last night listening to the addictive podcasts from the mrbrownshow.com and woke up feeling stretched and exhausted. Bugger that mrbrown, had me wide awake and in stitches with his 'Native Speakers Corner' and 'Talking Cock in Parliament House' downloads!!! Felt good to immerse myself in all that Singlish though. For those who haven't had a chance to listen to his podcasts, you should! Pronto!

Anyhow, since Dee and I had marked today down as visit the 'Oyster and Seafood Fair' day, we decided to make the effort to go out even though every sinew in our bodies was begging us to crawl back to bed and 'nuah'. We managed to get out of the house at 11:30am (event started at 11am).

And I'm soooo glad we did! The Fair was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

Now mind you, I say this despite the fact that seafood in the UK actually sucks? The fish, prawns, calamari, mussels you see at the supermarkets look sickly and unappetizing. I kid you not. The only fish worth buying are plaice, haddock and at times, cod. The rest? Forget it. (Gosh, I sound like a true blue housewife now! *slap on the forehead*)

But the seafood at this fair was nothing short of freshness! The fresh oysters... omigod...the succulent lobster.. ooohh la lah. As you can tell, the mere memory of the seafood sends me into raptures!

Although the fair wasn't a big one, we were able to enjoy 2 rounds of yummi-licious feasting. We tucked into seafood risotto, fresh/fried oysters, lobsters and an assorted seafood platter (methinks they call it that coz the 'seafood' is actually 'cha pa lung' seafood bits from everywhere). We downed 2 lovely and refreshing glasses of Pimm's as well. This is a summer must-have in the UK. It's a cocktail consisting of Pimm's, lemonade fizz, and all kinds of yummy summer fruit like strawberries, apples, oranges, cucumber slices and the all-impt, mint leaves. A string quartet was playing some snazzy tunes and that added to the merriment. People were toe-tapping and swaying to the music, while having a swig of their beer/wine. It was just a perfect day - perfect weather, perfect music, perfect food.

Even danielle had a swell time, even tho' she was strapped to the buggy. Pity we didn't buy her that humongous Octopus balloon sculpture she wanted coz it was too darn big and I suspect, expensive. But she's not a whinner so after we makan-ed and drank our fill, we headed for our next destination, Piccadilly Market.

The market's located in the church grounds of St Jame's Church in Oxford Circus. It's an extremely small market with v little to see or do. Wouldn't recommend this to anyone. But the church itself was quite beautiful and I think JH would have loved shooting the stained glass windows. I caught it on my camera but didn't turn out as nice. Pity.

Ok, that was one victory at the Oyster Fair.

Now, I must 'aksi' abit about my cooking tonight. I did 'dao yoo bak' (black sauce pork?) and I stewed it for v long so that the meat would literally melt in your mouth. Dee declared it a dish worth inviting friends over! Hahahaha ok, I know I buay paiseh. But I Really had to log this on my blog coz it's not everyday that Dee compliments my cooking so gratuitously. So I think I deserve 'a moment' to revel in my own achievement, no? :P

2 comments:

As The Deer said...

I believe U have ur mum's genes lah and soon Dennis will just be complimenting ur makan everyday! =D Now U make me wanna try ur dao you bak as well lol. Hope I get to satisfy Ian's tummy next time the same way. Hehe.

Oh ya... the seafood in UK is crappy. The frozen prawns in bags at the supermarket are like shrimps (hair bee size). I remember when I bought that once to use for cooking. Was so appalled plus it was extra pricey. =p

No wonder they are so duah jiak coz I think meat is cheaper and tastier there lor =p.

Anywayz, the feast u guys had is making me drooooooool over here. ^.^

BTW, Brighton has a fair when the French brings their wares down to sell and there is lovely fresh lavendar for cheap and lavendar everything for cheap. I will ask my "Mum" (UK host mother) about it. I still chat to her now and then. She's a fiesty, salsa grooving coming to 70 year old lady ( ur dad's age I think).

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Am glad to hear that you've done a 'make your ma' proud dish in 'dao yoo bak'!! Dennis IS a lucky man.... *what can i say!*

Btw, small cooking tip for you (frm my MIL) re. making 'melt-in-ur-mouth' pork...[hawkers' tips]

To avoid having to stew pork over many labourious hours...you can use a small amount of baking soda (approx 1 tsp) in boiling water...then add your pork pieces (trotters, sam-cham bak & what nots) into the boiling mixture of water & baking soda. Remove when pork looks cooked...do not leave it in for too long. Rinse pork in clear water. Then, you can use the pork to cook it in stew or whatever way you want. This procedure reduces the need for you to stew for hours & hours AND ensures tt you get zee 'melt-in-mouth' texture!!

Hugs,
B