Thursday, September 07, 2006

Here we go school hunting

Have been scouting for schools for Danielle and today, we went for our first school viewing at Broomswood Montessori, about a 15 min walk from our house. I had high expectations of the school coz had had a nice chat with the Principal, read its Ofsted report (which was rated well), and was convinced that since it incorporated the Montessori approach in its curriculum, it should be quite good?

Unfortunately, it didn't quite make the cut with me. The proportion of boys to girls wasn't right, the school room wasn't bright enough, the children didn't look as happy as they should've... Perhaps it's the first week back in school for most of them & having spent the last 2 months of summer holidays with their parents, they are finding it difficult to adjust back to school life? Whatever the case, I've decided to put Broomswood on my KIV list and shop around some more. No point jumping into it, I figured? And I'm going to go with my 'mummy' instinct...

We intend to put Danielle in a nursery for a couple of hours a week (3 days, mornings only, preferably) so that she gets further stimulation and interaction with other children. I'll be viewing another school tomorrow, and an English-French nursery next Tues. Quite excited to view 'L'ecole des Benjamins' coz it seems quite popular with the mummies here. Plus that french accent, ooh lala... even talking to the principal today made my hair stand. I know, issues! Hahahaha!

Met lovely Silke (the German) and her son, Nelson at the library session today and verbally agreed to meet up for a walk to the park in about 2 weeks' time. :) She recommended the nursery that Nelson will be attending come Nov, and suggested I check it out as well. I'll probably do that in the following week as Dee and I will be going to Ireland to attend his JC classmate's wedding. We'll be away from 13~16 Sept. Not a very long trip and I think we'll get to cover Dublin and Tyrone County (where the wedding will be held) at the very most. Will write more about my adventures in Ireland once I get back.

Dee just came back from a company outing, not without getting drunk, unfortunately. *Rolleyes* He went on 'The London Eye' with his company folk and his feedback was that it was 'a complete & utter waste of time and money'! Thank goodness we didn't bring my MIL there! It costs 50 pounds per pax! Sheesh! Think we print money ah?

2 comments:

As The Deer said...

Haha I have similar worries... everyone's been asking the golden question: which school will you be putting Kaelen in?

Mum suggested St.Andrews... and I am like NO! lol. I knew too many pai kiahs and gays from that school. Haha.

Fairfield? Ian said NO! Lol. He has bad memories and he was like dun put him in a methodist school and all. Keke.

I want to put him in a mixed school... and it doesn't matter if the school is not Christian because we will just have to faithfully bring Kae to church and sunday school every week then. =)

I trust in God to help me choose. I was thinking of Xin Min near Aaron's place. Heard it is value added.

Don't know haha. GOD HELP GUIDE US! =)

Anonymous said...

Hey ya..

Been so out of touch since my trip back from Singapore.. i see mummy has been blogging furiously away again..:) keep it up coz this has been one of the daily to-do i log onto everyday when i come to work.. Is addictive!!!..:)

Anyway, good luck in finding a school for danni. Go with your mummy instinct, it shldnt be wrong.

And i see on the mummy-friends front, you are making progress.. :) Good job!..:)

Cheers,
Mel