Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Memoirs of an Inexpectant Mum

We had a full day of activities today, Danielle and I. First, we went in search of Beth/Scarlett's house at Mayford Road coz we were meeting them later. I didn't want to get lost so thought I'd better be prepared and familiarize myself with the route. Once again, another good trait I picked up from Dad? So, with road directory in hand, we ventured onwards. (That's their house on the inset.)

After locating their place, we went on to look for Alderbrook Nursery, a state-run school which I am considering to place Danielle in after she turns 3. Education is free for 3 and 4 year-olds in the borough of Wandsworth so I am eager to put her in one of the state-run nurseries here. That way, Dee and I will not need to fork out anything for school fees. But places are extremely limited as there are only 3 state-run nurseries in this borough, so I forsee a scramble to get a place in the nursery of our choice next year. I have to register Danielle for a place in Sept 2007 by February 2007. I am most keen to place her in Balham Nursery as it has a glowing Ofsted report. (Ofsted stands for the office of Standards in Eduction) Must pray hard that we get a placement in that school. Failing which, we may have to put her in a private nursery and that's going to be costly. :(

330pm was the appointed time we were to meet Beth and Scarlet so by 310pm, we were out of the door. Their place is about a 20 min walk from our house (I shd know, I explored prior! Sheesh!). From there, we took another 15 min walk to Wandsworth Common. But when we arrived, we found the playground teeming with children! So after spending about 1/2hr at the playground, we decided it was too much of a strain to keep an eye on the girls amidst the other 10,000 children. So we bundled them up and brought them to play in the park instead, where they could run freely and safely. I found Beth easy to talk to and I really enjoyed my time with her and Scarlet. I learnt that she used to work as a director/producer at the BBC, as a freelancer. She's thinking of going back to work soon coz they're in the midst of confirming an au pair. Also, she's thinking of sending Scarlet to a good private nursery next year so she reckons they'll need the money...

Whilst Beth was warm and forthcoming in her views, a part of me still thinks it best to thread trepidly. I often make the mistake of 'diving into' friendships easily only to end up disappointed. So, I've decided - I will TRY to apply Dee's personal mantra to my life - NO EXPECTATIONS. It is without expectations that you will not get hurt or disappointed. You know, the funny thing is I was actually nervous to go on this 'mummy date'? Never been out with an 'ang moh' alone before and wasn't sure what to expect. So I decided to commit my fraying nerves to the Lord and told Him to bless today's meetup. And if He so wills that Beth and I become good friends during the time I am in the UK, then His Will Be Done. I told God I know He's before me, and He knows how my life will turnout so I will try to commit to Him. I find it so hard, this commitment thing. Which is ironical, coz I know I could make my life so much easier by committing to the Lord, and lead that 'stress-free' life. Instead I cling onto my cares & worries and fall short of leading a life He could've intended for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, now i know why you commented tt the Daily Reflection today was a 'good & timely' one!

Yep, we all tend to fall short of what He wants for us - if only we learn to let go of our insecurities, worries & headaches tt come along with being an imperfect human...

BUT...impt thing is, we don't stop trying to walk closer to Him. I know our prayers will always go answered!

AMEN!!