Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dee, the nervous scribe...

Dee went all neurotic on me today and you won't believe over what.

Writing an email to my dad.

Ok, I'm exaggerating his reaction a bit here. But honestly, he was just strange? :P

And I didn't know whether to ROFL (= roll on the floor and laugh, a term I learnt from Geri) or proffer him a sympathetic hug.

You see, I'd checked my emails for today and casually told him that my dad had mentioned him in the email and asked how come there was no reply to my dad's query on Dee's blistered foot. By this, my dad was referring to a photo he had seen of Dee in one the kodak albums I'd sent. (see above)

Dee immediately went to his laptop, logged on and searched frantically through his emails for one from my dad. When he couldn't locate any, he queried me and I told him that my dad didn't send the email to his work email but presumes he (Dee) would read his emails to us from the home computer.

I think that very answer must've spurred Dee to action coz I saw him start typing out a reply on his laptop, frenetically.

Anyway, I left him to it and went about doing my own things... but before long, I heard him hollering for me from the living room.

"Dear! I need you to check through something for me!"

I was like, he can't be serious...?

He had gone through several drafts (for TWO whole hours!) but he still wanted me to vet the email for any spelling errors, grammar mistakes, the works. He even wanted to re-write the top para with a disclaimer on his 'lack of flair in writing' and bad grammar! Kekeke

But I understood why he reacted this way. My dad, the English teacher, is what I would term 'old school'. The kind who still loves the sound of crisp 'Queen's English', who reads phonetics, who quotes Chaucer, Shakespeare and God knows which other dead poet, who corrects my emails for spelling errors and tells me things like, 'I've noticed you've been punctuating your emails with 'lah', 'hor'... try to avoid the use of Singlish as it makes for very unpleasant reading'. Heeheehee

That, is my dad for you. A tad prissy perhaps, but God love him for that. His propriety and insistence on writing/speaking good, unadulterated English is something I truly respect and admire.

Awww, but poor Dee lor. :)

(That email was finally sent to my dad with minor adjustments but was left largely au naturel to retain Dee's personal flair *grin*)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Saggs,

You know...you are a very LUCKY gal...the fact tt Dennis cares so much abt what your dad, his FIL, thinks, is commendable!

I mean...no doubt, his 'concern' was a tad bothering on the nerve-wrecking type BUT still, its sweet!

Btw, can't wait for you to get all the stuff i got for you & the lil' one via "Bubble Express"!!!

As The Deer said...

ROFL... I understand Dennis!

Adoi I tell U whenever I write to your Dad, I feel very worried as well coz my grammar is very jialak.

Everytime I pass Ian something of mine to read, it comes back with half a dozen corrections to my use of punctuation and grammatical errors.
(Haha so your brother also is like your dad in his own way... not juz you!)

Hence, my paranoia whenever he puts me in charge of writing to your Dad anything (cards, emails, sms!)

So yes... Dennis ah... wo liao jie!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Qiubio,

I'm Amused and Bemused with a capital A and B (written here for double emphasis)...heehee.

I'm not surprised that our dear ol' dad has that sort of effect on people regarding the proper use of English :) He still corrects me too --once in a while. And I correct Von (much to Von's chagrin and irritation...hohoho!) I do try to be careful when I return dad's smses. But at other times, I try to be relak (tsk! tsk! from dad if he sees this...heehee!). But I do consult him about sentence structure and stuff, when in doubt. He is Mr Professor English, after all. Anyway, no one's perfect. And even dad -- dare I say this -- does mispronounce words once in a while.) Nevermind, we still love him, like he loves us.

Love,
Chi

To Dennis, Geri, please do not get so flustered and stressed -- it's ok. Just be yourselves. But thanks for the amount of effort put in. I'm sure the patriach appreciates it :)

Take care...and lots of love,
Viv