Thursday, August 24, 2006

'She caught my eye...'















I was actually approached by a mum at the library reading session today. I had seen her on probably 2 other occasions and she walked over to say "hi" to me today. Naturally, I was very surprised as I didn't expect to make any friends anywhere. Her name is Silke Hoppe (pronounced as 'Silka' and last name 'Hopper' ) and she's German, an architect and has a very sweet, warm face (I noticed that the first time I saw her actually). Her baby is 9 month-old Nelson. Silke told me that she was very taken by Danielle who had 'caught her eye' by looking so 'gorgeous' and 'intelligent'. She then thought to herself that if the child was this articulate, the mother couldn't be all that bad. And get this - she told me she'd mustered her courage to speak with me! Gosh, I've never had an 'ang moh' tell me that before! This is definitely a first for me. Coz usually, I feel the Caucasians kinda hesitate to talk to me for fear that I may not be able to speak English? And here's a mum confessing that she'd had to pluck up her courage to approach me! Unbelievable! Anyway, had a nice chat with her for about 1/2 an hr and then exchanged numbers. She told me that perhaps we could arrange for a walk together in the future. Awfully nice of her. It really does 'pay' to have a daughter like Danielle! She even introduces friends to mummy! Hehehe...

I got my TESCO card today and already own a Boots Loyalty card and a Nectar card (from EDF, the Energy co in the UK) that's used at Sainsbury, Debenhams etc. Am on my way to being a full-fledged, loyalty point collecting housewife!

We went to Clapham Common Southside again and Danielle had a nice time 'terrorising' the poor ducks (or are they geese from the looks of it?). We spent abt 3/4 of an hr at the playground, then to TESCO to pick up some bread then home sweet home for mummy's pasta.














* That's librarian, Lili, in the photo on top. She's not as good a story-teller as Pat but she's funny in her own way. Mel, here's some evidence that even the librarians are Indians! They're everywhere! :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo hot mamma.. Being picked up!..:) Not bad. You go girl. Danni is def a good tool to make friends with. Is good to know that there are insecure ah moh out there who may not speak good english and wants to make friends too. Def a 'benetton ad' moment..:)

I see the coupon cutting auntie has been upgraded to a loyalty card auntie.. moving up the food chain

ok, 1 little indian in the library. where is the whole country??

Anonymous said...

Goose is the general English name for a considerable number of birds, belonging to the family Anatidae. This family also includes the swans, which are mostly larger than geese, and the ducks, which are smaller.

I think those are geese-es ..:)


Cheers,
Mel

As The Deer said...

ROFL... loyalty cards are really good to have. I was really into it too when I was there.

Have U checked Oxfam out yet?

Glad you're making many more new friends over there =)