Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I love my sunny island


Was going through Geri's blog and saw that she had put in some videos (via YouTube) of the NDP fireworks and some national day songs by our local artistes like Tanya Chua, Stephanie Sun and Kaira Gong (who dat???). Anyway, when I watched the MV by Tanya ('Where I Belong'), I literally teared? Gosh, am I that patriotic or do I just miss Singapore? There is no place like home I guess. Wherever I am, I will always be proud of being Singaporean. Sure, we ban chewing gum, we cane errant teenagers who vandalise, we still practise capital punishment and periodically, we have 'Be Courteous' campaigns. But I guess all these just make us the people we are - kiasu, rigid (for some), sheltered and 'aksi' (especially to Malaysians... hohoho). But we are also people who know how to have our own brand of humour (mrbrown, Phua Chu Kang etc), our own language (lah, leh,hor!) and our own kind of fun. I miss my Singapore.

Thanks Geri for putting them up on your blog. For a moment, I really felt closer to home. (If you can find 'Home' by Kit Chan, would be super). Thanks babe!

*Photo of fireworks taken by JH. Think it was last yr's though.

Am I getting creative or what? :P Did this 'aquarium' with Danielle today. I drew/coloured whilst she glued the pictures on. Had quite a bit of fun till she started making a mess with the glue. *Shakehead* I can't stand mess but how to avoid when you have a 2YO? Must 'tahan'. Tough, tough.

Went to the newly-renovated TESCO at about 4pm. Had to have a looksy at what we had to wait 10 days for. The 'new' TESCO has a delicatessen, more Asian goods (read: Indian) and a better stocked wine aisle (good for Dee?). Check out the price of MILO man?!!! Small tin some more! *Faint*

Went to Clapham Common (Southside) after TESCO. First time we were at the Southside and to think Clapham Common is the nearest to our house! I didn't know where the playground was till I met a mother (Julie, with daughter Carrie) at Clapham Common Northside. So off we went to explore today and I think it is by far, the prettiest playground amongst the others I've visited. The surrounding area is quite picturesque, I must say. Park benches, wide open spaces, people feeding pigeons, and a pond with ducks swimming happily inside it. At this playground, I also met 3 other Asian mummies! I know I sound like I'm looking out for Asians but it can seriously get quite 'lonely' being the only Asian in the playground all the time. So I think I will come to this park most often in the future! Danielle 'made friends' with 2 older boys today - Jamie (at the playground) and Jameld (at the pond). She really enjoyed the pond and running after Jameld, who was quite the 'expert' at ducks. He was there with his binos and all. He taught Danielle how to check the water's depth by using a twig. Cool stuff. It started getting chilly though. So we went home to have our nice, steaming hot porridge!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have to say i know what you mean syl. That day when i went to the Singapore embassy here in KL and i saw the snippets of the NDP. i also saw a preview of our MP making his speech and suddenly i felt really homesick too.

I miss the safe and secure env we have in Singapore and the reliable, trustworthy, honest and decent leaders we have at the helm. Leaders we can respect and look up to and a country that will always strive to work hard and persever.

There is still no place like home..:)

Mel

As The Deer said...

Me too... like I said, when I was studying in UK, I had the HOME mp3 on my PC and I cried and cried listening to it sometimes whenever I was homesick. Those days, it was more costly to go online or to make calls. These days, it is so much easier.

Like they always say, there is NO PLACE like HOME =)

Dun worry. 2 years will pass on by. In the meantime,hope the music will comfort you and help make the distance seem closer.

We'll be praying for you and your family till then =)

BIG HUGS!
Geri

Anonymous said...

wanted to add that ..

My milo-maker-syl, miss the good old days when i get a steaming hot cup of milo every morning, made with the right amount of creamer, milo and water..:) .. Yum Yum..

those were the best cup of milo i ever had..:)

Cheers,
Mel