Monday, December 04, 2006

Pee Plea

A few people have been asking me whether Danielle's fully potty-trained now. Well, here's the thing...

We first introduced Danielle to the potty when we first arrived (July 06). Then, she was a month shy of 2.

A few weeks of making good progress, she suddenly decided she'd 'had enough' and dissented from any form of potty-training. She objected vehemently (such an understatement!) every, single, time I brought her to the 'throne'. Only when making doodoo, did she allow herself to be brought anywhere near the potty.

I blame myself for not having been more persistant. I should have stuck it out with the training. But I chose the easy way out. Rather than bemoan the vagaries of her behaviour, I chose instead to preserve my sanity and not grate my nerves further with her incessant screaming and protests.

That was end August'06.

Fast forward to present time, I have resolved to have the potty training down pat by end 2006. But from the looks of it, it's going to be loooong and arduous affair.

Our washing machine is now full of her 'pee-ed on' panties, pyjama bottoms and pants. And I have to follow her around - boxes of tissue, wet wipes and anti-odour spray in hand - mopping up each and every 'accident' puddle.

What's worse? The flooring here is COMPLETELY carpeted.

*Faint*

The only thing that keeps me going now is knowing EVERY parent goes through this very 'trying' period.

God bless us potty-trainers everywhere!!!

* Some people/books recommend you start 'potty training' when the child is 'ready'. Whilst I think the advice is sound, I think I'll still try my hand at it... and hopefully live to tell the ordeal! :P

3 comments:

mummy linda said...

I remember reading somewhere that some mummies started potty training from as young as 4 months old. I have no idea how they did it.

I intend to start when Javier can sit properly.

As The Deer said...

I understand how you feel chi. Kae was a terror when it came to potty training too. But he woke up one day and decided it was the day for him to be a big boy and be potty trained. Suddenly. That was how it happened for us.

Dun worri about it. She will be potty trained sooner than you think. =)

As The Deer said...

(add on) Dun stress about how soon other kids get potty trained. Danielle is unique and is not anyone else.

They all develop at their own pace. As long as she is happy and developing well in all areas, you have nothing to fear.

Potty training will arrive one day when she goes to school regularly and feels paiseh about being the only one in diapers or who wets herself.