Wednesday, December 06, 2006

London Musings (Part One)

As a SAHM, I get to mingle with locals in rather banal, less threatening 'day-to-day' -type settings. This, as opposed to chatting over cubicles, exchanging niceities in the pantry, or making small talk over a business luncheon.

Instead,
I empathise with mothers at the playground giving chase to a child on the loose.
I share a parkbench with a fellow ambler, and pigeon watch.
I sit amongst parents & children and listen to Story-Time at the local library.
I peer into grocery baskets at supermarkets, and wonder what that person will be cooking tonight.
I silently observe commuters on buses/waiting at bus-stops, occasionally listening in on an interesting conversation or two.
I stare at the backs of people in banks or while queuing at ATM machines, waiting my turn.
et cetera et cetera.

My point?

Putting my auditory senses to good use (ok, so I eavesdrop!), I've picked up a thing or two on British lingo, their fav terms/phrases, and even popular children's names.

Here goes:

Names
Top 5 Boy names:
William, Harry, Oliver, Jamie, Thomas (Tom)

Top 5 Girl names:
Daisy, Olivia, Hannah, Emma, Lucy

Terms and Phrases: (Don't say --> Say)
Hug --> Cuddle
Half past 2 -->Half 2
Clear up --> Tidy up

Popular phrases:
That's Awful!
Dreadful!
Horrid!
Mucking around
Brilliant!
Completely knackered
Bloody
Posh
Call their children 'Poppet'

Street English
You know --> It wasn't like I had, you know, any choice?
Yeah --> You see these potatoes, yeah? Peel and scrub 'em, yeah? (Watch Jamie Oliver and you'll know what I mean)
Isn't it --> In-it?
Getting --> Ge'in
Little --> Li-el

This is but a snippet of many, many more observations to come. Watch out for them. :)

1 comment:

As The Deer said...

In England, every one is a love or lovie...
Bollocks over Bullshit...
Friday night roast = a bad memory for me...
Fresh milk is REALLY fresh...
I visited Co-ops not NTUC Fairprice...