Friday, August 17, 2007

An Invitation

You're warmly invited to -
Danielle's 3rd Bday Bash!
Date: 17 August, 2007
Time: 3~5pm
Location: Clapham Common West Side


I wish all of you could've been at her party.

It was brilliant. At least I thought so. It far surpassed my expectations. And I'm really really Really glad Papa and I decided to do this for Cheekyboo.

The hour before the party went by like a whirl. With threatening weather, a thousand and one things to cart over to the Common (mini-compo! lootbags! helium canister! picnic food! game props! etc etc), worrying whether I'd allocated sufficient setup time before the 1st guests started trickling in, getting Makiko & Dan from the Tube station (it was their 1st time at Clapham, see) - I had no time to think whether the party would be a success.

I simply hoped for the best. And I continued to trust that God would deliver good weather.

Despite the heavily overcast skies.

I was blessed on both accounts.

By the end of the party, I received hugs and compliments from mummies and kids alike that they had had a great time. Which I hope they did. But I can't say for sure, can I? :) Perhaps that was just the polite thing to say? But no matter, coz I think Danielle had herself a truly wonderful time.

And I hope I did her proud.

Because, heck, I was proud of me. Especially becoz I had to fly solo.

Papa was unfortunately detained at work. I had initially entrusted the role of 'Game Master' to him, but by 3:30pm when my Right-Hand Man was still nowhere in sight, I decided to take matters in my own hands and start the games. On my own.

And that's what I did. I started the session with a couple of songs:

*dennis thinks I should explain that Zubeyde stood up and walked off becoz she had to go after 2YO Yasmin who had wandered out of the circle.

We played games:

By the time Papa FINALLY showed up, we were well into our 4th game. I'm glad he didn't miss the entire party! Hurray!

Pass the parcel

Playing musical shapes

hot potato game

After the last guests said their goodbyes, I collapsed in complete exhaustion. After a week of frenzied planning, brainstorming, researching over the internet - all that culminated to this one, singular moment - it was Finally over.

Danielle was high on adrenaline, cupcakes and strawberry milk. I was high...because I felt so very blessed that God presided over the whole event. And I was humbled again. The week had been plagued by dark clouds, drizzles and heavy downpours. We only had that tiny fraction of a chance that it wouldn't rain. Still, we took our chances, continued to have faith, and you know what - NEVER DOUBT GOD. HE NEVER FAILS!

Nary a drop of rain was in sight. There were even bouts of sunshine! Hallelujah!

I was also blessed with friends like Sam, Makiko and Yemi who helped with setting up. Without them, it would not have been as smooth-sailing.

But most of all, a big Thank You to my dearest friends (you know who YOU are!) for praying for us. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Now here's a thought. Danielle's full name is Danielle FAITH Chan. Isn't it befitting therefore, that on her bday, the BEST gift given to her - dappled with dancing clouds and rays of sunshine - is the beautiful miracle of Faith from God?...

Success, Team Chan!
(just look at the clear blue sky? I mean, seriously?!!! God! Awesome!)

* Now that I'm a 'veteran' at throwing kiddy parties, with 'glowing creds' to show for, I'll gladly help organise parties for your lil' tykes ... NOT! :)
++++++

Party Stats:
No. of children at party:14
No. of games played: 5

  • Pass the parcel
  • Musical Shapes
  • Musical Statues
  • Tug-of-War
  • Hot Potato!
No. of songs sung: 2
  • If you're happy and you know it
  • Row row row your boat
Fastest moving party food: 1) Cupcakes, 2) Chicken nuggets, 3) cocktail sausages
Slowest moving party food: Carrot sticks

Total number of guests invited: 22
Number of guests who turned up: 22! Everyone turned up!
Number of blunders: ONE! I forgot to bring out the bday cake! *slap on head*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Danielle Faith! You did a great job, i could not have handled so many children at a go - just looking at all of them in the pictures gives me the shivers! Looked like everyone had a lot of fun and you've got some beautiful pictures there - esp. like the last 2.

Chub & Chum said...

hey love - i can't believe how much danielle has grown...she looks absolutely lovely:P
you must be a proud mom!