Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It's murder on the kitchen floor

I could be Sophie Ellis Bextor and do a celebratory groove now that I've got blood on my hands.

I walked into the kitchen today and while clearing the trash, found the lifeless, rigor carcass of the scuttleboo we've spent weeks trying to nail.

It wasn't a pretty sight. Altho, that didn't deter me from taking ONE photo to 'commemorate' the macabre victory.

I had thought I'd feel more elated now that we've finally put an end to days finding our trash bags nibbled through and little lumps of mouse poo along the kitchen tops. But I didn't.

In fact, I'm feeling pretty awful because I realised that mouse was a mum. How did I know? Her nipples were erect the way that showed she was nursing young.

She was a mum. And now I can't get over the fact that I killed a mummy mouse .

In the whole scheme of things, this would constitute a double victory: 1. I killed a pest, 2. I killed off her scion's one and only food source.

I related the incident to Dee over the phone, and even he had to agree that it was 'kinda sad'.

Also, I'm wondering whether mammals have the same vindictive, revengeful reflex as us humans. Every time I walk into the kitchen now, I half expect a legion of mice to lunge at my feet in a vicious attack to avenge her death?

*shudder*

5 comments:

Shalom said...

I know how U feel... when my Dad was getting ready the boiling water to scald the little rat (who had been eating stuff in our kitchen) to death, I felt very terrible.

The rat (which was very very clean & cute- brownish in colour)could sense impending doom and was trying to find a way to free itself.

When he heard the kettle whistle its death knell, it really went into frenzy mode and was peeing and crapping and squeaking and gnawing at the metal cage.

Then my Dad said something that made me feel guilty - "What to do. You and Mum are scared of it. So have to kill it, or else it will keep returning to our kitchen."

Wah lau when he poured the boiling water to scald it to death, I could barely stand to watch it T.T He did it twice for good measure. Can you imagine it? Being scalded to death alive?

I still think about the rat and feel sorry for it. It was so young and had a future that we snuffed out.

Dun think too much la. I guess we did what we had to in order to protect our own kids so that they wun kena food poisoning or rabies.
*pat pat back to console saggies*

Unknown said...

wah lao, do all parents know that scalding water "trick"? that's how my parents killed the rat that was in our place too!

I am "B" said...

Maybe it has to do with being a mommy in 4 days' time... but reading your entry abt the little mummy mouse did strike a melancholic chord in me??

Guess the bit abt erect nipples & nursing "added" to that tinge of sadness... eeeps..

Chub & Chum said...

Oh man, sorry but I think scalding is the most cruel way to kill!! That's like a slow death right??! Isn't there a quicker way to die?

Anonymous said...

nod nod. But the thing is how else can u kill a rodent fast without touching it?

Sighs. =p

My Dad said that was the old kampong way of killing rodents.

I wouldn't mind killing cockroaches that way. lol. I have no sympathy for those icky insects.