Sunday, January 06, 2008

The sweetest day

I am as rigid as a cadaver with rigor mortis set in.

I am an icicle.

Cheeks is a popsicle.

And Dee? Well, let's see.

Here he is - a picture of frost - wearing Danielle's balaclava, demonstrating how very cold it has been.

It has been, a very VERY cold January.

Inside the house, my crimson ponsiettas stand withering in their pots. I've started taking down the Christmas decorations - our little Christmas tree is packed, along with all the ornaments my MIL bought from Daiso, into a TESCO plastic bag. The party streamers have been rolled up and silver tinsel plucked from off the carpet floor.

I am finally ready to store away Christmas.

+++++++

Tonight I saw a woman bury her husband. On TV. The scene was so devastatingly painful it pierced my heart in more ways than I could ever imagine.
++++++++

But enough about finales and farewells.

Cheeks said the sweetest things to me at bedtime today.

As I tucked her under her duvet, calming her day down with a couple of bedtime stories, she turned to look at me and in all earnestness uttered, ' I feel safe with you, Mummy'.

She then interlocked her fingers with mine and whispered, ' Let's hold hands and close our eyes at the same time.'

As we lay in bed, side-by-side, with our hands clasped, I muttered softly in her ear, 'If Mummy is not here when you wake up, it's not because Mummy doesn't love you. It's because you're a big girl now and need to learn to sleep on your own.'

Wherein she replied, ' I want to be your little girl then.'

As her eyelids began to droop, her soft chattering replaced by gentle snores, I hugged her tight and offered her this assurance - You will always be my little girl, Cheeky. Always and forever.

Then I left her, alone in her bed, safe with the knowledge that I must be doing something good, up till this point, to deserve the sweet, sweet love of my child.

1 comment:

I am "B" said...

Saggs,

As u can see, i'm leaving you comments "with a vengeance"! Hahahahaha..

This entry made my heart flutter, my eyes tear & my nose tingle... it is SOOO unbelievably sweet what Doey said to you.. THIS must be the Sweetest Day indeedy..

Makes one feel that all the sacrifices are well worth it, ain't it?