Monday, January 22, 2007

You say potato and I say po-tah-to

Has anyone seen the movie, 'The BreakUp' (right) starring Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston? If you haven't, you might wanna consider putting this title on your list of DVDs to watch next.

I'd recommend this to couples - both married and dating alike. This movie, however, borders on the 'chick flick' category so ladies, if your men need convincing, tell them there's a scene where Jen A shows off her pert, little tush most gratuitously - that should nail 'em . My other half, and King of B-grade action movies, surprisingly gave it his nod of approval so, well... just watch it.

I must say, I've never seen a movie so 'spot on' in its portrayal of relationships. The dialog in the movie made me feel as if it was holding up a mirror to my own relationship.

Now before I continue, let me assure all that Dee & I are doing just fine. Although, I have to admit, we did have an 'episode' over the weekend, but that's just me staging my theatrics. Heh heh.

The movie highlights some key issues between men and women:
1) Fundamentally, we DO NOT speak the same language. How else do you think John Gray made his millions with his bestseller, 'Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus'?
2) (Some) women just lurrrrrv to play mindgames. (guilty! guilty!)
3) (Some) men just don't let up.

4) Most men don't listen, are slobs, and are BOYS.

5) (Most) women have selective hearing when it comes to arguing. i.e we pick what we wanna hear, then beat the guy to a pulp using his very words. No, I stand corrected - we pick what we wanna hear, turn it around (usually to something out of this world), then pulverize the guy. He'll usually be struck speechless by this point.
6) In a quarrel, women tend to bring history into present, resulting in an argument about Everything Else.

Allow me to illustrate Pt 1:
D: (commenting on my cooking) Your food will never taste as nice as my mum's because she uses alot of salt and oil. So you should just keep it simple. It's ok, I want to eat heathily...
S: You think my cooking sucks so you think I should stuff the effort coz it'll suck no matter what??!!

See?

Let's explore Pt 2, 3, 5, and 6 with another illustration:
S: Since you think I suck at cooking, I think I won't cook anymore! (but I sooo wanna cook, I know I can cook no matter what you say!)
D: I didn't say you cook bad. I just said you should keep it simple! But you should really smash the garlic more. You know how my mum cuts garlic?
S: What?! Now you're even insulting the way I do the garlic! Don't compare me with your mum!
S: Fine! I'll not cook anymore since you don't appreciate it!
D: Fine! Don't cook then! I'd rather you not put your stress on me!
S: I'm not stressed!
S: (like a petulent child) I hate you! You don't want me to cook! And you don't appreciate my efforts! To think I have to clean after you ALL THE TIME. And I have to wash up even when I did all the cooking!
S: I don't want to wash dishes anymore! (clashing of plates)
D: Oh ok, you've had your turn, now I'll have mine! (clashing of bowl)

Juvenile.

Of course, these, are simply illustrations. :)

I'm cooking Japanese (again) tonight. Ready-mix miso soup, Jap rice and a side dish of chinese cabbage with mince meat. I hope that's simple enough for Mr Keep-It-Simple (bleh!). But... I travelled by Tube to Leicester Sq just to buy tofu for the soup so if he were to so much as flinch ever so slightly tonight, I'll not hesitate to exact my swift ninja moves on him, and cook his innards for tomorrow's dinner! (good suggestion on your part, Mel. Don't forget our pinna colada date shd the cops drop by... *winkwink*)

Yep, hell hath no fury like a SAHM scorned!

In the royal galley of divine Love, there is no galley slave: All rowers are volunteers.
- Saint Francis de Sales (1567-1622)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, i like this movie too.

The conversation they had abt washing the dishes is so surreal and the issues of "i want you to want to do it" def strikes a chord. I am still perfecting sublime psychology on my husband to want him to do many many things for me and do it with a smile..:) But its a very real portray of relp.

Yes, desperate housewife, remember to wipe off the prints and let's keep the story straight - i had Pinna Colada and you while you were sipping on Bloody Mary..

*wink**wink*

As The Deer said...

Haha Ian and I watched it together... we thought it was pretty good and liked how it ended on a realistic note.

Haha abt the illustrations.

Dun worri lah... every cook has her own style. Dennis's mum has been cooking longer than U do mah... so give urself some time and U will be there someday.

As for me, I dunno if I can match Ur mum's kungfu siah! hehe. But I will try. I remember I was very moved when I learned that your Mum picked up Nonya cooking for ur dad! And she is so good at it! ur Dad must be really proud of her!

Am sure as long as I dun cook like my M, or if I experiment like my Dad in fusion cooking, Ian will be a happy man. Hehe.