Monday, November 06, 2006

Clara's Day 5 - The LAST Day (Goodbyes are never easy)

What a difference a day makes. Actually, less than a day.

I just got off the phone with Clara, who called to let me know she's arrived safely in Singapore. To think just hours before, she was with me in London, and now she's back in the comfort of her own home...

Day 5 with her started off with Sunday church service at AllSouls. Rico Tice, the associate minister, gave an excellent sermon on the realities of 'Hell'. Clara found the church 'quaint' and congregation-wise, bigger than Prinsep Presby.

Danielle did really well at Sunday School - and for the 2nd week in a row! Good job! In fact, she announces this quite proudly when we pick her up, 'I didn't cry anymore!'. Can't say the same for how she reacted at nursery today though. Tsk tsk...

Reuben and Ori visited AllSouls on Sunday so after church, all of us headed to Leicester Square (Chinatown) to yum cha. Gerrard's Corner, our 'favoured' yum cha restaurant hadn't opened for the day so we did a bit of grocery shopping first. Clara browsed through the Chinese supermarket and balked when she saw some of the prices! *Faint faint*

When we finally settled down for lunch, my mission was clear - to sample the 'jew yim xim yau' Mabes has been egging me on to try. Mabes, if you're reading this, is this (right) the dish you mean? If it is, it's delish, delish, delish!

After lunch, we parted ways with Reuben & Ori and went on to visit The National Gallery at Trafalgar Square.

What. An. Awesome. Place.

Admission's free and we were 'treated' to chamber after chamber of artwork by the Greats. From Renoir to Rembrandt, Leonardo Da Vinci and Raphael, the works are extraordinary. Some, more so than others.

Clara and I went in search of Paul Delaroche's famous depiction of 'The Execution of Lady Jane Grey'. It was brought to our attention by Malcolm, our guide on 'The Original London Sightseeing Tour'. He had given it such a glowing commendation, we Had to see the real thing for ourselves. And we weren't disappointed. It was absolutely stunning. But probably made more so by the story behind it.

We spent about an hour at the Gallery. Had we more time, I'm sure we would've loved to linger. There are just so many chambers and exhibitions within the Gallery, one would need a whole afternoon to finish them all, frame by frame.

Our last stop for the day was Covent Garden. I slipped that in for good measure since Trafalgar Sq, Leicester Sq and Covent Garden are closely situated. Covent Garden is famed for its street performances, restaurants, the Royal Opera House and fashionable shops. I was surprised, and delighted, that there was a market open on Sunday. The market sold everything from china, to soaps, to hand-painted apparel. In fact, just learnt via the Internet that the market actually operates throughout the week! Super! We watched 2 street performances (good stuff) then took the Tube back to our place.

All too soon it was time to say goodbye. Booked Clara a cab since she can claim the fare from her company. She's packed the girls' Christmas presents in her luggage and has been given 'strict instructions' only to distribute them at Christmas. All except Mabes', since she's leaving for Burma just before Christmas.

At 7pm, the cabby rang our home to let us know he was downstairs.

As we hugged and said our goodbyes, I got all emotional again (seriously now, what's new? *rolleyes*). The short of it is - it doesn't ever get easier saying goodbye.

Clara, thank you for dropping by, even if for a short 5 days. I had lots of fun showing you around, shopping, just simply having a good friend around. I hope you had fun too.

Missing your presence already.

* Mabes, thanks for knowing me sooo well and smsing me. Hugs back!
** And JH, more pix of us joined at the head! Heehee!















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

its the right dish!!!! glad u liked it, its pete's and my favourite! We hv it everytime we're there!

now u have doreen and ur in-laws to look forward to visit over christmas ... and before u know ...u'll be right home with us but glad in the meantime, we have the chance to catch a glimpse of ur lives there!

b strong, love you ...
hugs, mabes

As The Deer said...

Wow... the story of Lady Jane Grey was simply amazing. Such wisdom at a very tender age.

I love the quote:

'I think that at the supper I neither receive flesh nor blood, but bread and wine; which bread when it is broken, and the wine when it is drunken, put me in remembrance how that for my sins the body of Christ was broken, and his blood shed on the cross. ...I ground my faith upon God's word, and not upon the church... The faith of the church must be tried by God's word, and not God's word by the church; neither yet my faith.' Jane Grey to John Feckenham, 1554

Anonymous said...

Hey Syl Via! Sorry it took me soooo long to read your blog. Been smacked in the head with so much work upon return that it's taken me days to dig myself out of the muck. Thanks so much for spending time with me during the 5 days I was there and painstakingly documenting the places you brought me to. For everyone else reading this, I rate the trip to the Chan's abode 5 out of 5 stars! Good food, beautiful sights, bouts of laughter, a warm bed, an excellent guide plus documenter, great bargains, ride on a bus that is sure to freeze your face while you try to laugh at the deadpan jokes of Malcolm the commentator.... what else can you ask for. Go buy your tixs and head to London to visit Syl Via the mummy wonder! (Dani the sidekick is thrown in for free!) But truly thanks loads Syl. It was a great time of rest for me and I had lots of fun just hanging out with you :) Miss ya loads and believe it or not, I do miss the cold once in a while. Tell Dennis thanks for all the cheese and I'm glad he's looking more relaxed and in tuned with family life. Tell Dani... yaba daba doo! and make that inverted ok sign on the eyes for her and tell her Auntie Clara misses her and that she should practice how to do that so I can see her do it next time. And as for you, please eat a bit more so you can recover from the cough faster and you definitely need more meat on ya body gal! Too skinny lah! Hugs hugs : ) And as the famous Arnie (the Terminator) saying goes... Arll Bee Barck!