Friday, April 25, 2008

Through my eyes

A walk down my favourite stretch between Leicester Square and Covent Garden.

I exit Leicester Square Tube station. Clasping Cheeks' hand tightly in mine, we cross the bustling street, onto Great Newport Street. We stride past The Arts Theatre ('that's where we saw Gruffalo's Child!' pipes Cheeks, every. single.time), Bureau (purveyor of lovely, expensive stationery supplies), the Photographers' Gallery, pizza joints. I tut-tut with my eyes as trishaws tear down the narrow streets, ringing their bicycle bells to draw attention.

At the junction of St Martin's Lane, walk straight ahead and this leads us to Long Acre, a shopping stretch that's home to many a high street store - NEXT, Reiss, GAP, Zara etc. Turn left and that brings us onto Monmouth Street.

Ah. Monmouth Street. With its melange of independent boutiques and shops - how I adore thee. We pass interesting cosmetic shops - brands I've never even heard of, peer covetingly into vintage boutiques with gorgeous shop displays, busy pubs, intimate cafes, a florist, finally arriving at Orla Kiely... Oh Orla, how I love browsing through your irresistably beautiful store (note operative word). I love everything. The store decor, the products sitting prettily on shelves, even the gorgeous lampshades. I do not know how best to say goodbye... should I buy me a mug, rainy day wellies, a bag?!

And then there's Candy Cakes, a cafe with a facade so sweetly-hued (pink, turquoisy shades), it's hard to miss. I'd go there every week if I could, just to have a milky cup of English Breakfast tea, enjoy cupcakes with brightly coloured frosting, and look at the rainbow display infront of me... I'm instantly transported to a happy place.

Cheeks and I thoroughly enjoyed our lemon poppy seed and blueberry cheesecake cupcakes today. They added an extra inch (possibly 2) round our waistlines/hips, but darn it, we were happy.

tea with Jo and Becky

1 comment:

Clara said...

Saggs the cupcakes are making my mouth water!