Friday, April 11, 2008

5 minutes

Why I ever committed myself to a silly '12 day' ditty, I'll never know. It's a lyrical nightmare as you can already tell. But fine, I'll TRY... and finish what I started.

It's a matter of PRINCIPLE.

(Am averting gaze now. So, go ahead - yawn WIDELY, roll your eyes, beat your chests in anguish, et cetera. I know you want to.)

And while you're busy doing all that, excuse me while I continue with my 'riveting' rigmarole...

On day 5 (a Thurs) of termbreak, we had Cheeks' friend, Meilin, over.

Yao, Meilin's mummy, desperately needed to complete her work assignment so I offered to take Meilin for a couple of hours to allow her time to better concentrate.

The 2 girls frolicked in the living room, wolfed down their lunch (I fixed up a quick meal of pasta), painted, squealed in unison while watching 'Dora, dora, dora, the Explorer! Dora!' (accompanied by enthusiastic high-pitched squeals - hola! gracias! Swiper stop swiping! -- ARGGGGHHH!!!), squished, pressed and rolled out lumps of playdoh, did role-play - taking turns to be princess/queen, patient/doctor, mummy/daughter.

I always enjoy having another kid over. It relieves me of my child entertainer/minder duties and gives me time to chill and do other 'non-motherly/housewifey' erm, things.

I leave the girls to their own devices. On the whole, they play nicely but inevitably, there will be catfights. It's almost unavoidable. Children their age still struggle with the concept of SHARING, being LESS TERRITORIAL, that they CANNOT ALWAYS HAVE THEIR WAY.

So my tranquil moments were sometimes broken by shrieks of 'You must SHARE!', 'I had that first!', 'Don't do that, I don't like it!', 'Give that back!', 'Mamaaaaaa!'


Still, I did have some peace and quiet. Ommmm.


At about 3pm, we walked Meilin back to her house then took a train to our next date - tea/dinner at XY and May's. I had shamelessly invited Cheeks and myself over to their apartment in West London. While Cheeks entertained the 2 ladies with her childish antics, I looked through XY's lovely water-coloured illustrations, and flipped through fashion magazines. We were treated to a comforting home-cooked meal prepared by May - stir fried spinach, baked salmon marinated with miso paste, and fried egg omelette. Dessert was 3 pretty Waitrose cupcakes that May had bought as a special treat. They were gone in seconds. Ok fine, minutes. They were really good. Thanks, May!

Uh-uh, didn't forget my ditty. You ready?

"On the fifth day of termbreak my Mama gave to me - an invigorating 5 min walk (from King's Cross tube station to XY/May's house), 4 new experiences (at 4 new locations), 3 turkish delights, 2 summery dresses, and a choc-caterpiller from Marks&Sparks!"

Pardon the parentheticals. They are absolutely necessary if you want to sing this song as it's intended understand the full extent of the song!

Oh, throw me a friggin' bone here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me guess. Did XY have the cupcake with the green lollipop? I bet she did - HA