Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Round the bend

Blogging will be at snail's pace over the next few days. Besides obligating myself to finishing that infernal ditty (you know the one *roll eyes*) and a gazillion other incomplete posts, I am also surfing the internet, trying to do some research for our upcoming Big Apple trip.

Yes, another holiday. Please don't hate us. We are blessed, I know. But also very broke. The number of money transfers that have been ping-ponging from one savings accounts to another is, quite frankly, spiking my heartrate.

We leave next Tuesday. This means taking Cheeks out of nursery during school term. And we've just started a new term after that 2 week break!

While I'm not too perturbed by her skipping nursery - it's not like she's missing out on REAL lessons or anything - I am a tad concerned about the disruption these holidays are causing to our daily routine. And I like routine.

Afternoons are pretty much free and easy with walks, playdates, trips to the Common/library. But these are what we do, mornings:

  • Rise and shine, loo visits, et cetera et cetera,
  • Cheeks has breakfast. Sometimes she watches telly. Or not, depending on her mood. Sometimes she doodles during breakfast.
  • I potter around the kitchen. Have myself a mug O tea! mug O Tea! Begin preparing lunch.
  • At 9:30am thereabouts, we begin 'Lessons'. This is when I go through the alphabets, numbers, mandarin vocab, learning to tell time with her.
--> Not all together a very pleasant exercise, I have to admit. She absolutely ABHORS lessons! And the more distracted she is, the more irritable I get, and the more our neighbours HEAR ME. Seriously, I wonder why I even bother? She'll learn all these at school, no? Each session leaves us visibly upset, our chests heaving in frustration. Still, there are SOME good days. Thank God!
  • After lessons, it's bathtime for the both of us - she suds in the tub, I lather in the shower.
  • Lunch! chomp chomp chomp!
  • If there's still time, we play for abit. Else we get ready for school, or get ready to go out.
So yes, this routine will be disrupted. Oh I know, it's a holiday... heck?!

The weather has been tottering on wonderful these past 2 days. Despite the morning showers, I was able to walk Cheeks to school clad in a top (only!) and jeans. OMG OMG! Does this mean I can finally relegate all my winterwear to storage?

On Monday, seeing how school was having an inset day and wasn't open till Tuesday, I decided to bring Cheeks to the One O'clock Club at the Common. It's been ages since our last visit. Cheeks' nursery session falls smack during the opening times of the Club and by the time she finishes, the Club is ready to close for the day.

Seeing her play at the Club made me realise how much she's grown these past 2 years. She used to relish the sing-along sessions, used to trot all over the Club - looking for new toys, preferring to spend more time in the outdoor area. Now, she's content to sit quietly doing craft, or roll out the Playdoh. She plays by herself, unconcerned whether I join her in the activities or not.

Cheeks at the One O'Clock Club, aged 2 yrs 3 mths

Cheeks today, aged 3 years 8 mths

I'm also making a conscious effort to pop into shops/cafes/boutiques around our suburb more. I don't want to neglect them, especially when Time will abate my ability to frequent them soon.

So yesterday, I brought Cheeks for a walk around Northcote Road. We browsed inside gift shops - Huttons, All Good Gifts, we sauntered into La Cuisiniere and La Cuisiniere Too to look for a butter knife I've been hankering. We didn't sight any (I'm so regretting I didn't buy the cute polka-dotted one at Mousehole, Cornwall!). We shared a Ribena Light purchased at a newsagent's, continued to hop in and out of shops as they were closing, saw LOADs of 'Charlie and Lola' stuff that I want to buy but didn't. We went to Woolworth's, where I got Cheeks a 'Beauty Playset' for 1.99 pounds (she been spending hours playing 'Beauty Parlour' with her toys since, pretending to be their beautician and dolling them up for parties, picnics and other 'exciting' occasions.) Our last stop was ASDA. I browsed through racks of GEORGE clothes (all bleh), and we spent time flipping through kiddy mags.

Powerpuff girl, Buttercup, gets a makeover

teddy gets a combo: cut/wash/blowdry

It was close to 7:30pm by the time we got home. We were held up by a MASSIVE jam while on the bus and because we couldn't catch the connecting bus home, we had to walk 20 minutes back to our place. The walk did us both good though.

And so, another day passes... and I feel the need to cry. Just to let things out.

Not helping (or perhaps it is?). This:




No comments: