Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Me & them Blogger Mums

The problem with backlog entries is it takes forever to plough through them. I've been storing half-written entries in the 'draft' box telling myself I'll get to them soonish.

Right...

A week has passed and I'm now suffering the repercussion of my own indolent blogging behaviour.

I won't be able to give a blow-by-blow account of what we did on Wednesday because of memory lapse. Also, I'd like to avoid a lengthy entry. So, I'm going to do the next best thing - write them out in (semi) point form?!

Wednesday:

  • met blogger mums Val & Luke, Ros & Louisa and Lavigne
These 2 Singaporean mums are the ones I most frequently meet up with in the UK. Ros doesn't live in London so her travelling down to the City was a treat for us all. And because her visits are few and far between, there were a few places she wanted to look up. And that, leads us to our
  • First stop - Japan Centre
Cheeks and I met Ros' family at noon to explore the newly-opened Daiso at the Japan Centre in the heart of Picadilly Circus. Unfortunately, the Daiso-priced (1.45pd) selection was extremely dismal - a mere peppering of 'cheaper' household and food items. I did discover, however, that Japanese curry packs, dofu and rice are cheaper there. Sugoii...
  • 2nd stop: The Muffin Man
After a quick pit stop at Macca's to pick up Happy Meals for the famished kids, Ros and I hopped onto bus no.9 and made our way to High Street Kensington to meet Val and Luke. I'd surfed the internet for tearooms in the Chelsea area and was directed to 'The Muffin Man' at High St Ken. Whilst the tea was extremely value for money, and the carrot cake I ordered was delish, I thought the tearoom was sorely lacking in ambience. It didn't feel like an English tearoom at all! Ros ordered a coffee cake which turned out to be a huge disappointment - dry, bland, extremely forgettable. Sorry Ros, will choose a better locale the next time. Promise! Perhaps we should have stuck to ordering muffins only...

Ros & her sweethearts

Val and her lil champ
  • 3rd stop: Holland Park
After tea, we mums walked our little troops to Holland Park to expend their energy. We needed some time to catch up with each other and the best idea was to have the kids busy themselves, playing. We made the playground our resting ground and chatted on benches while the kids played in the sandpit, went on the play structures, rocked to and fro on the 4-seater spring see-saw etc.

  • 4th stop: Whole Foods
I admit, my interest to visit this store stemmed purely from the tabloids. I'd had enough of seeing pictures of Keira Knightley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Posh Spice et al, traipsing fashionably out of the store with Whole Foods reusable bags filled with organic products. I had to check out the store for myself. I would love to go completely organic. If I could. But I can't. My pockets are not deep enough for us to eat organically. So fully-organic meals at the Chan household will have to wait... long, long.

Whilst at the store, I bagged me some rice cakes (2 for 1pd), a scrummy chocolate bar (99p), and... a Whole Foods reusable bag. What can I say? I'm shallow. But hey, I now use that bag while out grocery shopping. And that's the whole point of it, isn't it? Save the environment, lay off the plastics? ;P

After Whole Foods, we parted ways with Val and Luke. Ros and I, together with our girls, made our way to Leicester Square by bus. Ros wanted to buy some pastries for her husband (awww... so sweet!). On the way, we stopped for some quick snaps at Trafalgar Square. Lousia and Lavigne had never taken photos with the famous bronze lions (that surround Nelson's Column) before. So I asked Ros if she'd like to take a couple, just for the memory.

Once at Leicester Sq, we rushed to the bakery, picked up the pastries/buns, made a quick dash into New Loon Moon to search for the chilli I'd tried over at Joanne's. We found it, thankfully, and both Ros and I grabbed a jar each. Then it was home sweet home for all...

++++++

We will miss these 2 families v dearly once we... but I thank God so very much for placing them in our lives.

Oh. Let's not forget I still have to complete my '12 days of Termbreak' ditty: (help!!!)

" On the 4th day of termbreak my mama gave to me - 4 new experiences at 4 new locations, 3 turkish delights, 2 summery dresses, and a choc-caterpillar from Marks&Sparks!"

Pathetic, I know. (Trust me. It gets worse.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, seeing the picture makes me go what have I done to Luke's hair????

We don't do 100% organic either but it is easier to do organic here than in SG (where the price difference between organic and non-organic is greater). Sainsburys often has good offers and another affordable way is to go vegetarian for a meal or two.

Hey, what chilli brand is it? I want some too!

Val