Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dans la conversation avec une petite personne...

...which, when directly translated means 'in conversation with a little person'.

Little people. They are extremely literal, direct - COMPLETELY no-holds barred.

For the most part, I love the candid way they express themselves because oftentime, they mean what they say. Well, unless you count the times when they - in a brief moment of dementia, tell you how much they 'DO NOT LIKE' you - which I certainly don't! C'mon, it's poppycock! Afterall, how can she possibly not like/love Mummy, eh?

Eh?!!!!!

Danielle - she speaks like a little BIG person sometimes. Her ability to string sentences (that make sense!) and her vocabulary seem to have expanded exponentially in the past couple of months. Where I struggled to have proper conversations months before, I now engage in discussions with her.

There are times though, where I wish she would exercise a little discretion when she erm, decides to call a spade, a spade. Take for example, the time where she stared pointedly at a bald bloke walking infront of us and piped 'That man's botak!' (yes, she loves saying 'botak' alot, and has taken quite the interest in shiny, bald palates. DON'T EVEN ASK.). Then yesterday, while on the Tube, she looked at an Indian man sitting mere seats away from us and uttered, ' That man has unkempt hair, Mummy'. When I smiled in embarrassment and tried to shush her because goddamit THE WHOLE CARRIAGE could hear us, she repeated it yet again, and more audibly than before, 'THAT MAN HAS UNKEMPT HAIR, DOESN'T HE, MUMMY?'

Oh bury me under a rubble of shame!!!

Conversation misdemeanors aside, I really enjoy my chats with Danielle.

Last evening, as we got off the Tube, she turned to me and said, ' It's late, Mummy.'
M: How do you know it's late, Cheeks?
D: Because the sky is a different blue.
M: What sort of blue is it?
D: It's night blue.

And then this morning:
D: Mummy, why are you carrying the blanket out?
M: I'm bringing the duvet out because I have to bring it to the dry-cleaners, sweetheart.
D: Is it because it's too extremely big to fit in our washing machine?
M: Yes it is. So I have to bring it to the dry-cleaners to have it washed and cleaned.
D: (thoughtfully) I see... they have big washing machines there, do they?

(actually, big washing machines do not equate to dry-cleaning but what the hey, I'll get to explaining that bit to her when the time comes!)

These are but some of the examples of amazing conversations we have daily. I know they seem trifle and even uninteresting, but living with this little dudette - watching her grow and articulate herself better and better each day - makes me wanna puff my chest out in pride, you know?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that is pretty amazing. i think it's brilliant to be having such conversations with danielle!

Daughter Of Sarah said...

Love the stuff that girl spouts... she reminds me of the girl, Anna, from that series on Mister God by Finn.

Precocious darling.

I guess her being in UK has helped plenty in the ability to speak well too.

Kae has his terribly funny moments too.

Conversations with the little ones are indeed an eye-opening experience for us adults. Sometimes, they are so much more profound in their simplicity than we are.