Saturday, May 19, 2007

Of Gifts & Goddesses...

It was Paaaaarty time @ the Chan abode on Saturday!

Now that Danielle's a little older and understands the special significance behind birthdays, I was able to 'recruit' her as my partner-in-crime for the tiny surprise party I'd planned for Dee's 32nd.

Despite my best efforts, Danielle wasn't able to grasp the concept of keeping ANYTHING a secret. She'd announce quite unabashedly: 'We're having a party, Papa!', 'Happy Birthday, Papa!', 'I made you a card, Papa!', 'We bought you a cake, Papa!', 'Mummy blew balloons!'... But worst of all, she revealed the secret hiding place where our gifts were stashed. Doh!

As my girl Friday, I made Danielle choose Papa's birthday cake, draw him a bday card, and help with the party decor. She seemed genuinely pleased to be involved and could holler 'Surprise!' and sing the traditional Bday song on cue (well, almost) as Papa made his grand entrance into the party area (aka our dining room).

Dee is not big on birthdays and already warned me not to plan anything much in case he didn't display the 'right' emotions I hoped he would. I assured him that it would be a quiet do.

And it was.

I cooked him a special dinner (followed recipes. Thank you v much, ASDA!), recycled Danielle's bday decor & last year's Christmas tablespread, and blew up 2 measly balloons.

Despite the lack of fanfare, I surmise the birthday boy did enjoy himself. In fact, he gave my smoked haddock soup & romantic chicken roulades a whopping 8/10! And an additional 0.5 for good value and great company! Geez, 8.5 ! I'm swelling up like a pufferfish, I am.

After dinner, we brought out the 4.99pd cake from TESCO, did the usual blowing of candles, making a wish thingamajig and after, presented him with his gifts. They were the MAIN reason why we had the celebration early actually.

Why? Because MEL, you are a Goddess!

Dee was over the moon at the sight of your gift!!! Coupled with my complementary 'Personal Movie Goody Bag' ensemble, he swiftly assumed the lotus position & ascended to 7th heaven...

Even as I blog, he's sprung roots deep into the living room floor and is relishing his first movie for the evening, 'V for Vendentta'. I don't actually have to tell you this but what the heck - yes, he'll be there for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG time - just so you get THE idea.

I still have part 2 of my bday gift to surprise him with. But I can tell you - Mel, yours is certainly a Tough act to follow! :)





* 21/5: Thanks to everyone who sent him birthday wishes and for remembering! :)

6 comments:

I am "B" said...

Here goes (Dee, imagine my angelic voice accompanying this song ya! Imagine HARD...)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDY TO DEE DEE!!!!
HAPPY BIRD-DAY TO YOU-UUUUUU......

*Muah*!!

Have a fantastic 32nd birthday!!!

Shalom said...

Happy Happy Hatch Day Dennis! Hearing your little Danielle singing you Happy Bday song and making U a card must have really been wonderful! And of coz Sylvia's wonderful efforts must have been really heart warming.

May the blessings of Deut 28 come upon U...

We will very sooon have something in the mail for u! =)

Love,
Geri, Ian and Kae

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dee Dee!!
May the Lord Bless you and keep you safe in His arms always.

Have a Blessed birthday my friend.

Skiver A

Anonymous said...

happy Birthday Dennis..:)

You look like a very satisfied birthday boy..:) So happy that you enjoyed your presents. Btw, syl helped me pick the DVD titles..:)

Enjoy your presents and happy staying glued to the tv set..:)

May God blessings continue to pour upon you and your family.:)

Pooh said...

Happy Birthday Bro!
:D

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday, birthday boy Dennis.

Older but wiser. Happy 32nd birthday. (wow, you are 32 already!!!)

Let your journey ahead be blessed bountifully with God's grace and may His guardian angels watch over your family.

Many happy hugs
From the TAN FAMILY
Roberto, Irenena & Isaiah