Friday, March 28, 2008

A Walk to Remember

We took full advantage of the absence of rain to spend time at the Common yesterday. I realised how much I've missed it even though our last visit was a mere few weeks ago.

All around us was the blossoming evidence of Spring.

I've walked the Common a thousand times since moving here. So many sections are familiar to me. But today I took my time to acquaint myself with it. All over again. I lingered to admire, to appreciate, to take in the vast expanse of greenary around me.

If only my mind could somehow retain, capture scenes the way I see them, I could play them back, again and again, like one of those scenic powerpoint presentations we so often receive through email. But our ability to remember, though amazing, is unreliable. And to commit everything simply to memory would be somewhat imprudent, ill-advised? Too careless an action. For memory is but a mental impression. And that, will fade over time.

I cannot leave such moments to chance. I do not want to strain to remember. But perhaps through these, I'll never forget.

No comments: