Thursday, March 06, 2008

Dental Ditty

This, is Cheek's toothbrush. Or otherwise known as Captain Toothbrush.

In case you're wondering why the honorific for a common bathroom object, let me assure you it's purely tactical. We've not turned looney here.

Our bathroom seems to be the backdrop of choice for many of Cheeks most atrocious outbursts. I blogged her bathtime 'madness' previously, and now have to add teethbrushing woes to the list. She prances wildly round the bathroom, squeals, squirms, goes on a kicking rampage, gnashes her teeth when I advance towards her with the toothbrush.

Please! Tell me that other mothers face the same problems with their kids during teethbrushing! Tell me I'm not alone!

The
tussles I get into with Cheeks at EVERY SINGLE teethbrushing episode make me think it might be easier to train a koala to do circus tricks, persuade an eskimo to migrate to a desert, convince MJ that he's REALLY black, not white, than it is to get my daughter's 'wired shut jaws' to open.

I've tried various methods to get round the problem, but have to say this latest attempt has met with the greatest success.

I've made up a silly ditty. With accompanying marching actions coz, ehh, it's got a marching band tempo goin' on there.

So now, before we brush her teeth, I do a whole song and dance number just to prep her for the session.
She's been lapping it up and getting her pearly whites polished in the process. Score!

I'd sing it for you but I fear you'd barf all over your screen, your ears melt into your temporal regions, or something vile happens to your innards.

Hence, I leave you with its amateurish lyrics. Perhaps when Cheeks gets the words down pat, I'll upload a video of her 'performance'.

Capt'n Toothbrush will save your teeth
When he flies to spaceship mouth!
Capt'n Toothbrush will kill the germs
that make cavities in your mouth!
Blast! Blast! --> Cheeks fav part of the song

Speaking of ditties, I'm reminded of this beautiful one which not only bolstered ad retention but worked wonders for its campaign.

Remember?

2 comments:

Daughter Of Sarah said...

Ah yes... brushing issues. You are not alone. My prob is more of my parents letting Kae get away with not brushing his pearlies before bedtime. =p Tired or not, my stand is he has to brush.

Kae is better about brushing teeth these days but yes the earlier days saw us battling about it too.

Dun worrie... that was a good strategy. I do bath time song routines with Kae too ha ha... and that is so part and parcel of being a mum. We think out of the box - WAY outta the box.

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha, mine is the same. Will be alert right up to 5min before I say "time to brush teeth" which he will then tell me he's too sleepy. ??? sigh...hope it gets better as well.

Your song is nice..maybe I should try it on my boy... :)