Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cornwall

I began this post a million different ways in my head. I even scribbled notes (in bullet points!) because I didn't want to leave any memory out. But I'm sure I have, inevitably.

Despite the lovely holiday, it's great to be back in London and I'm immensely grateful for today's burst of sunshine. If only the Easter weekend could've been this sunshiney. Still, I cannot gripe since we were blessed with good weather on most accounts.

For the past 4 days, we immersed ourselves in Cornwall history, food, culture, enjoyed every square mile of its breathtaking coastal view. From scrumptious cod & cornish cream tea to cliffs & coastlines, it's no wonder many have fallen for the quiet charm of Cornwall.

+++++
I had in mind a whole list of things I wanted to share with you about our trip but it's hard to write when you're not 100%. And I'm not. So I find myself struggling to find the words. Sorry about that.

I have no choice but to leave my memories of our trip in those bullet points I spoke of earlier. Unfortunately, they will neither paint a decent picture, nor do the lovely hols any justice. But, they are all I can manage for now. I am putting up some photos though. Perhaps they will help give you a glimpse of our sojourn there. Afterall, nothing says it better than pictures. Sometimes.

Harbour beach @ St Ives

A fishing village called Mousehole (pronounced as 'Mow-zel') that we visited

Blotches of memories:

  • Crazy detour to Wales due to my folly. Saw a magnificent rainbow there though.
  • Daffodils, snowdrops growing willy nilly by the side of roads
  • Enjoying delicious Cornish cream tea
  • Experiencing hailstones at Lands End
  • Almost blown away by gusty winds
  • Sent various postcards to self
  • Vast expanse of sky that went unobstructed for miles
  • Amiable locals
  • Great seafood
  • The distinct smell of charcoal emitting from village chimneys
  • Half-dressed children playing by the beach, running in and out of the water, having absolutely no concept of cold
  • Cheeks the social butterfly, making friends with children at Hastletown Pub/Inn
  • Cheeks ordering food on her own at The Mermaid Seafood Restaurant. Asked for 'more water please!'
  • Went off the beaten track, visited a lavender farm in Devon. Made friends with farm cats Eleanor and Tabitha
  • Cheeks eating baked beans and brocolli!
  • Cheeks suffering from motion sickness and vomiting twice in the car. Over the same side of my sleeve
  • Hair is slapped across forehead in almost every photo due to gusty winds. Bah!
  • Listening to Simply Red's 'For your babies' during a car ride and feeling on top of the world
  • Lovely stay at 'The Hollies', our B&B. Great breakfast every morning.
  • Visited a local 'Craft Farye' in Hartland, Devon. Tried malt cake for the 1st time. Bought the best fudge.
My favourite shot of the whole trip - craft hanging outside a shop

Hubs keeps it together with a beanie. I, on the other hand...

Cheeks building sandcastles at Harbour Beach, St Ives
The first time I've seen a child play at the beach in winterwear!

The rocky cliffs @ Lands End



3 comments:

Roslyn said...

Oh I love Cornwall! Did you go to Minack Theatre near Porthcurno? Amazing place!

I am "B" said...

Hey...it looks like a beautiful place! And the bullet point on listening to For Your Babies.. I can almost imagine it.. glorious! You've got me humming inside my head all day now! :-)

Anonymous said...

hey... hey... hey...fashionista,
did i spot my scarf on you??...:)