Thursday, March 13, 2008

Renewed

Cheeks with Xueying and May

Here's a photo to make some of you gawk in disbelief. That's Xueying in the photo alright. Not some superimposed shot of her plastered next to Cheeks who, I might add, is grinning rather contrivedly in the Taiwanese snack joint.

I brought Cheeks to Leicester Square today to hang out with old schoolmate, Xueying, and her flatmate, May.

This was not our first meetup with Xueying in London. We caught up over local food at Bugis Street Brasserie off Gloucester Road some weeks ago. The local fare there is satisfactory enough, although I still feel it pales beside Malaysian-run C&R.

So the next time Xueying and I decided to meet, I told her I'd introduce her to the more authentic spread at C&R. She and May were not disappointed with their cha kway teow and nasi lemak orders. :)

Xueying and I go a long way. We were in the same primary school together and were in the same class in lower secondary. I learned she was in the UK through a mutual friend of ours who alerted me via Facebook. The wonders of networking websites!

I haven't seen this girl in eons but was pleased to catch up on her current life. She's here doing a 3rd Masters (!!!!) but before this, she worked as a curator in some of Singapore's museums as well as the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple/Museum in Chinatown.

Anyway, I'm glad to be able to rekindle an old friendship, and thankful for the chance to catch up from where we left off.

Creative Xueying folding
a paper napkin 'monster' for Cheeks

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness ... u mean my partner Xueying????? please say hi for me!!!! and ask her if she remembered doing a parrot project for one of the science classes!

mabes

I am "B" said...

syl...mabes & i are very IMPRESSED with your "social butterfly" (verbatim frm Queen Lovie) skills... hahahaha... this is amazing!!!

Clara said...

wah lao... i didn't recognise her at all till i saw the pix at the bottom. She has grown up! Err.. and so have we... curator! I feel so ashamed now.