Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Musings in the time of a Tempest

This has got to be a hasty post!

The internet connection has, for the past 2 days, been most sporadic. Never have I played a more competitive game of 'peekaboo' with an electrical device. Our modem has been teasing (taunting, more like) me incessantly with flickers of hope - a hope that bears a certain greenish gleam that signals "Yes! We have liftoff". But ohhh no, the insufferable contraption chooses to remain unflaggingly erratic - denying me entry into cyberspace.

I've tried different means of getting it to function. I've done the whole 'I'm not looking at you, so you go ahead and do your thang' thing, I've stolen furtive glances, mere glimpses, only now and then, so it doesn't feel the 'pressure' to perform. I've even left the computer off for HOURS ON END (which is over and above what I can manage!). Yet, it remains unmoved. Just irritatingly skirt-ish.

I am most distressed. And I blame it all on the confounded weather again! This whole not being able to connect nonsense? It's the WEATHER's doing!!!

Now, most people when left with one less preoccupation flitter naturally to some other more productive means of pastime. Uh uh, not me. I am not 'most people'.

In fact, I am an embarrassing excuse for a human being.

I should be more productive. Instead, in the hours left to my own devices - when Cheeks goes off to nursery - I re-watch videos, try to take power naps, iron, snack on the bed, flip through free mags, mooch around. Before you know it, it's time to pick Cheeks up and I'm none the wiser, literally. Literarily.

I should read more. By my bed are 4 books I've purchased from thriftshops: Atonement, The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing, Anybody Out There, & Under the Duvet by Marian Keyes. They would constitute as easy reads, would they not? Instead, I find myself strangely (read: mind bogglingly) hesitant, almost digging in my heels from picking them up and poring over page after page of easy literature.

I'm daft, in this draught. ---> Oh, humour me.

So anyway, hey! So much for a hurried post! Verbose, c'est moi.

No comments: