Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A multi-coloured life

I was going to begin this post with an analogy that described Life as 'an empty canvas...' but I stopped short. Because I realised Life, can never be an empty canvas. Even the most monotonous or insipid life will have splashes of coloured moments.

My life, has been a colourful one. Not because of the hip or happening things I've done (which, unfortunately, I've none to boast of), or the things I've achieved. No, my life has been made more vibrant and alive by the people I've welcomed into its walls.

But weave in and out friends do. Remember my post on 'elevator friendships'? Well, I'd like to liken that to a labyrinth now.

The thing about the labyrinth is, unlike a maze, there is only 1 way (a single eulerian path. don't waaah, I wiki-ed it) to the centre. With friendships, it's kinda the same thing too, isn't it? The path to friendship, though not always smooth-sailing, is very clear - either you find your way into someone's heart, become their friend, or you don't. And vice versa.

Before we embark on a friendship, do we not go in search for a certain plateau where all parties feel comfortable investing their time/feelings on? If nothing makes you feel remotely inclined to each other, you wouldn't bother inching your way through complex passages and pathways to win this friendship, would you now?

+++++++

This time, last week, we said goodbye to Makiko and Dan. They had come to the end of their sojourn in London and were heading back to Tokyo. Thankfully, we managed to spend time with them on their last day in the city. I was touched that Makiko took time amidst their frantic packing, inventory check, and having their rented apartment cleaned, to have breakfast with me and Danielle. We met at Quarter Cafe on Brompton Road, near Knightsbridge. Like me, Makiko also loves the idea of catching up over a cuppa and cake, so I thought our last 'playdate' should allow her to do what she enjoyed most of London.

We were very blessed to have them in our lives. We managed to forge a friendship despite the odd communication hang-up.

In her goodbye card to us, she said:
'Thank you for your warm friendship. We had a wonderful time with you and Danielle. My English is very poor, but I could talk about many things with you.'

I can't begin to tell you what those words meant to me. But that's the thing about some friendships. Some people leave warm fires burning in your heart, and you feel yourself at bliss, basking in their glow. That's how I feel with Makiko.

In fact, that's how I feel about many of my friends who read my blog. Yes, you.

Jyaa-ne, Dan kun!

My hope is that I've made your life as colourful for you as you've undoubtedly made mine.
+++++++++

I've just finished re-watching 'Must Love Dogs'. Can I just say that Diane Lane has an amazing, special (can't pin point the exact attribute so have to say it with 2 adjectives) quality about her? I loved her in 'Under the Tuscan Sun', and I love her in this new-ish flick. I certainly hope I age as well as she has.

Speaking of attractive, aging actors, I love the movie 'Prime' starring another favourite actress, Meryl Streep. I L-O-V-E her. Period. I totally recommend this movie if you have a nice afternoon all by yourself - away from the bustle of work, or from the demands of your family. It's a must-watch, I think, for every woman. I tingle just thinking of its storyline. Yes, tingle.

Watch it.

Right. Night-night for now. xx

1 comment:

Daughter Of Sarah said...

I watched Prime in the theatres here. It was good but I tot it could be better.

Meryl Streep is excellent as always, and she is def one of my fav actresses. I enjoyed her turn in Devil Wears Prada... =) And I thought she was great in The Hours.