Sunday, July 01, 2007

We do ever so like Lola ...

Do you think I'm creeping into my mid-30s? or worse, a creepy adult thing? Like the rest of yoooous?

Well, *buzzer* you're wrong! Wrong! WRONG!

I'm actually 3. Though I must admit I'm rather tall for my age, and have the most appalling crooked non-milk teeth that make Gollum's look like gleaming dental caps. Nevertheless, I AM little. Truly, I am.

So here's a re-introduction.

Hello, I'm Little Saggs! I'm 3 and I have an 'apple child'- toddlerfriend- type-relation-thingamaroo named Danielle Cheekyboo. She's almost 3 too ('I'M 3 IN AUGUST', she pipes, 'AUGUST 20!'). She likes to shout.

Danielle Cheekyboo and I have a new favourite friend. Her name is Lola and she's 4. She likes pink milk and loves to chatter. Just like Cheekyboo and me! We like her very, VERY much because she ever so clever & funny.

Lola has a brother named Charlie. He's 7 and although he's older, he's not like other icky-sicky boys. He's kind and smart and we think he's jolly nice to Lola. He never thinks she says silly things and always explains things v nicely to her. We like him ever so much too.

Everyday, Danielle Cheekyboo & I spend loads of time with Lola and Charlie. We listen to their stories online, play games with them, and catch them on telly too. We do Absolutely have So much fun!

+++++++

My life hitherto has been spent as a boring mummy adult-thing. Little Saggs is my smashingly fun alter-ego and quite honestly, I'd rather be her any time of the day.

It's nice to be little. Well, most times.

Eversince I borrowed Lauren Child's 'I am Too absolutely small for School' from the local library, Danielle Cheekyboo & I have been hooked. Oh by the way, those monikers 'apple child' and 'cheekyboo'? They're real alright. I use them on her from time to time. Why? Coz she looks like a bright red apple, with oh-so-pinchable cheeks. They suit her, don't you think? :)

The reason why I enjoy 'Charlie and Lola' (as much as Danielle, if not MORE?) is because these 2 characters are so childishly refreshing. Lola is a precocious 4YO with a fertile imagination. She's creative, independent, intelligent and assertive. Just the sort of traits I hope Danielle will develop, growing up.

As for Charlie, I like him because quite frankly, he reminds me of my sister. (Oh yes, you are SO going to hear me drivel on & on about the merits of my chichi! Na-na-nee-noo-noo.)

It's not often you see siblings share a fuzzily warm & fun relationship with each other. But that was all I ever knew growing up with my sis. She was (and still is) kind, thoughtful, and caring. Not to mention zany and corny. She would regale me for hours with her 'imaginary' fairy friend. I think her name was Fiona? Flora? I forget. 'Fiona' looked absolutely like my sis (ya.duuuuh?!), and lived behind the cupboard at the far end of our room. Which then, of course, led to a faraway fairyland. She would brandish a ruler (?!) to convince me she was Fiona, and not my sister, whom she sooo closely resembled. Uh-huh. The resemblence is too uncanny. *roll eyes*

My sister's 1st bday gift to me was 2 packets of Ka-Ka and pencils. She bought them with her paltry 20 cents recess money. When I turned 8, she presented me with a S$10 doll with a pink & white frock and curly locks that cascaded down to its waist . That was 1983, when S$10 was a BIG deal. I don't know how, or even why, she bothered to save so hard for a doll for me. But that $10 is now worth so priceless a childhood memory...

Anywaaay. Like I said, 'Charlie and Lola' remind me of the rare, loving, funny bond between siblings. A bond unparalleled even by the closest of friendships. And for this reason, these 'kids' are here to stay - right at the TOP of my kiddy booklist for Danielle.

1 comment:

As The Deer said...

Ah yes... I used to watch them when Kae was about one. Loved them. =)

I always think that U and Chi Chi are so blessed to have each other AND that Ian is so blessed to have U both for his sisters.

I had to play imaginary games with myself and they got lonely ha ha.