Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Girl Interrupted

Okay, so we haven't exactly been disciplined when it comes to teaching Danielle Mandarin.

I honestly don't know what Dee's problem is. I mean, he has a good, clean, passing record. He can chat nineteen to a dozen in Mandarin (& Hokkien!) with my MIL so seriously, the onus should be on him to teach Danielle her ethnic tongue right? RIGHT?

Oi, you guys have to stand on my side! Hey, don't you go rolling your eyes at me!

Fine.

Armed with only ONE Mandarin poster in the house, I've been teaching Danielle a smattering from it. Words like 袜子, 面包, 蛋糕, 手表, 玩具, and to. We practise them everyday, except on the weekends coz even the lil one needs a break!

So anywayz, she knows Mandarin is different from English. She also knows it's Papa and Mummy's 'secret language' when we don't want her to know what we're talking about.

Lately, she's seems a tad more confident using Mandarin to converse with us, as seen from this conversation plucked from yesterday:

Mummy: 她讲的话越来越象Lola.
Papa:真的?
Danielle: (interjecting) Hey, hey! 糖果!

So like I said, she can so speak Mandarin now.

SWEET
...

* Note to parents -- do NOT make the same mistakes we made. Start your kids early!

2 comments:

Shalom said...

Haha... I did tell u keke.

Kae somewhat can speak and mandarin now but still a bit like kantang.

Am proud of the progress he has made. He tries very hard and does show a keen interest in picking mandarin up.

Pooh said...

Time to get you some chinese VCDs.
:)