Tuesday, July 10, 2007

10.07.2006

12 months ago today, we bade farewell to all we loved & were familiar with and took a 12 1/2-hour 'badly-serviced' flight from Changi to Heathrow.

We arrived in London at approximately 0500hrs with the stark realisation that we were 10,869km away from home, that there was a 7-hour time difference between us and those we left behind.

There was (an almost) 0 chance of turning back.

12 days later, we happily moved into our rented unit at H Road. We lugged 5 large suitcases, 7 pieces of handluggage, 1 very sleepy soon-to-be 2YO on 1 mini cab that cost us a whopping 90pounds to hire.

4 hours later that day, we received our 60-odd boxes that'd spent 6 weeks floating out at sea.

2 days later, we celebrated my 1st bday in London. I turned 31. My cake was a Victorian sponge that cost 2 pounds from M&S.

It's been exactly 1 year to the day that we first arrived in the UK.

Over the past 12 months, we've welcomed great friends/family members, bid others farewell, celebrated birthdays, Christmas, CNY, enjoyed Bank holidays, and got through a few harrowing weeks when Dennis' was stricken with Bell's Palsy.

Today, I sit in a house filled with flattened boxes waiting to be filled, and filled boxes piled halfway to the ceiling.

In 10 days' time, I say goodbye to the very house I said hello to just 1 year back.

How things change in the twinkling of an eye. How things change when you least expect them to.

For what began with uneasy uncertainty has given way to fond familiarity...

my first glimpse of London

just 10 more days before we say goodbye, dear house

3 comments:

Pooh said...

Yet another little chapter in your life is closing. I would just go around the house and take pictures of the place before you really "pack" up the place.
:)

I am "B" said...

This is an eloquent entry in recap-ing your 1 year in London & a fond goodbye to your cozy home for the last year.. didn't expect any less from a talented writer like you but am still touched by the way you write... miss ya heaps.. B

As The Deer said...

I really love the way you write. I always think that you express yourself better than I can hehe.

Looking at the pictures I am amazed at how little Nell was when she left SG and how much she has blossomed under your Sunny care =) (ok at times there are overcast days but all neccessary for growth eh? ^.^)

Hmm time to start re-addressing all the pre-stamped envelopes I have... lol. Liquid Paper/ Correction tape here I come.