Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My Funny Valentine

* so super back dated, I'll let you decide whether it's worth the read. :)

If the multitude of rose bouquets sold here are anything to go by, you'd think Valentine's Day is a national holiday in the UK...

T'was the night after Christmas.

At the stroke of midnight, supermarkets London over raced each other to purge themselves of any last traces of Christmas. Holly wreaths were chucked, fir trees jettisoned and Christmas goodies crammed onto discount racks.
In their place - big, ostentatious hearts of every hue and size.
You'd think at the velocity Christmas was being maneuvered to the lay-by & overtaken by Valentine's, one would quickly have to 'shift gears' from speed feasting to speed dating...

Now, if there's one country that's well acquainted with transformations - switching from one festive season to the next, at breakneck speed - it's Singapore. Who can forget the Santa Clause at Tanglin Mall that became the God of Fortune come Chinese New Year? In the same vein, I reckon the Brits could do a marvellous job transforming Santa to Cupid. All they'd need to do is to send Santa for a FULL body wax (yeeeeowch!), attach fluffy wings to his back, buff him up a bit, revamp his wardrobe (in with the skimpy, scanty white underthings!), and voila! cute, cherubic Cupid (ok, maybe this one's not that cherubic. But hey, at least he's dishy, right?!! heh heh.)













Our neighbourhood Tesco certainly outdid themselves with the amorous decoration. Leading up to Valentine's, the store decorators piled on the heart-shaped streamers and tassle, placing them strategically over the floral bouquets section. On the shopfront, heart-shaped window decals screamed: Don't forget Valentine's Day- 14 February. One would literally have to be blind to miss these barefaced reminders.

And perhaps a barefaced reminder was what I needed to get what I'd asked for this Valentine's.

Instead of a beautifully wrapped box of exquisite truffles, I got a box of Cadbury's chocolate fingers and a Kit-Kat party pack (12 individually wrapped pieces!). Oh the nerve!

I couldn't find any boxes of chocolates at Sainsbury's Local, was the earnest reply.

Yeaaah right
. Bet you didn't even bother checking the confectionary aisle at Tesco, did you? Maybe they should have hung their lovey-dovey streamers over their 'half-priced' chocolate section? I'm sure that, would've caught your attention! Bah, humbug!

And that, dear friends, is my man for you.

Although, I should add (in his defence) that he did try to plan a nice, romantic V'Day celebration for me (complete with expensive dinner, tickets to a musical etc). Unfortunately, those plans were shelved. I'd opted for a simple dinner at home (cooked by me, of course. See pix below). I asked for no flowers, or presents. Although... I thought a nice box of chocs would be nice. To share, of course...

But Kit Kat was what I got. Gee, thanks a lot, buddy!

++++++

It's one of the oldest cliches but truly, we shouldn't need a day like Valentine's to remind us to appreciate or love each other. If this day deserves a Post-It note on our calendar, then the calendar should be brimming with Post-Its reminding us to say 'I love you' to our beloved, every single day.

In all honesty, Dee could've gotten me an Easter cremed egg for all I cared. I would've still loved it.

For all his faults (and chocolate misdemeanors), I love my silly funny Valentine just the same.


1 comment:

Pooh said...

The force is strong in him but not complete is his training.
:P