Monday, February 19, 2007

Doing a 'Dee'

Danielle played witness to a crime today. She saw someone steal a wallet. Had she taken her crime fighting PC role seriously, she'd probably have highlighted the heinous crime to me as it was being played out infront her. I'm quite certain her usual braying would've gotten my attention immediately.

But alas, she chose to be silent this time. And with that, I lost my wallet forever.

I scoured the store frantically, hoping I had dropped it along one of the aisles. Please God, let it be somewhere on the floor...But all too soon my hopes were dashed- Danielle told me 'a lady' had taken Mummy's wallet. I bent over the pushchair to probe further but as you'd expect, it's no easy task questioning a 2YO.

My mind raced trying to recall how much I had had in the wallet, what bankcards and important documents were in there.

Thank goodness the loss was not too damaging: 13-ish pounds, all my UK bank cards (now cancelled and re-ordered), Tesco/Sainsbury's/Boots cards, photographs of our family, my T-mobile top-up card. But oh, I did have my Singapore Drivers Licence in there. And it was my beloved black wallet. Dee had gotten it for my birthday 5 years ago...

How did I get my wallet stolen in the first place? I was naive thinking I could sling my shopping bag on the pushchair. It could've happened anywhere but I think I should've been extra careful seeing I was shopping in the very crowded & bustling Tooting Bec. Sigh... a hard lesson learnt.

I'm still feeling sore from the whole incident. But at the same time, I thank God Danielle and I were pick-pocketed as opposed to being mugged . I'm thankful we were not held at knife-point, or worse, gun-point. I'm relieved I didn't have any of my Singapore bankcards in there, or my all-important IC.

I remember Skiver A losing her wallet once. Although she was upset, she said she'd hoped the money in there (I think it was in the range of S$200) would be of help to someone out there. Yes, I have very kind, altruistic friends. In a similar vein, I'd like to think whoever pick-pocketed my wallet will benefit her in some way too. Even if it were ill-gotten.

This is definitely not me trying to be altruistic. It's more for self-preservation, a peace of mind, and a better sleep at night.

This, is exactly how Dee would have approached the matter. And I can see why. If thinking positively amidst adverse situations can help you get along with life, and be a happier individual, then I don't mind taking a shot at it.

Wouldn't you?

3 comments:

Pooh said...

aiyoh... you need to be more careful about pickpockets. They are quite notorious in europe.

Make sure your handbag is closed to you at all times. You don't want to lose your handphone or camera next.

In any case, its a good excuse to get a new wallet. :) So cheer up.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...i know it must feel awful esp with losing wallets! But n'mind... as they say in Chinese (jiu de bu qu, xin de bu lai)... go ask Dee to translate if you can't make sense of this! Hahahaha!

As The Deer said...

Hmmm having had the experience of losing countless wallets, hps and 2 identity cards (stolen mind u the last 2)... I totally empathise.

Keep the bags shut and close by. Your brother is always zipping and latching my bags when we're out& locking me into my car seat with the seat belt whenever we are on a drive. Safety first.

Poor Nell, she must have been apalled at what was happening but then being really young, she didn't know what to say or do.