Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fashionably Green

This, has to be The World's Most sought-after grocery bag. From fervent fashionistas to frumpy housewives (me! me! me!), this holdall is this season's supermarket fashion must-have.

Wait a minute, supermarket fashion? Whatever do you mean? Certainly we're not expected to traverse le frozen food section in sexy Jimmy Choos, Chanel glasses and cute summer tunics?

Or are we?

'I'm not A Plastic Bag' is the brainchild of famed British accessories designer, Anya Hindmarch (notice her signature 'tiny bow' emblazoned inconspicuously at the top of the bag?). And this is her first foray into what I term, 'supermarket fashion'. Her motives are genuine (I suppose) and this bag is eco-friendly, and designed to address the issue of plastic bag usage that blight the environment.

But I suspect the advent of this tote bag will change the mart-shopping arena forever.

Now everybody and anybody wants to be seen with The Bag. From Keira Knightley to Lily Cole, even celebrities are coveting this limited edition. And all in the name of 'the environment', of course. Or so they say...

Soon, it'll be hip to pop into your local supermarket to load up on your fromages, tomatoes, yoghurt, and pint of milk. In fact, the bag may well cause supermarkets to ring up robust sales?

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here, yet already there are tell-tale signs.

Even before its launch in March '07, this limited edition tote was 'sold out' online, i.e pre-order allocations were made available but forced to close due to overwhelming demand. The bags then flooded eBay selling at up to £200, around the same price as a regular Hindmarch bag!

Despite its green credentials, this bag is more desirable as a fashion item than one to save the world. What's more, with its utterly seductive pricetag of FIVE British pounds (!!!!), it's a trawl line that requires no bait.

Call me shallow (ok, I am) but if a fiver is all it takes for me to do my bid for the environment (and hopefully up my hubba-hubba housewife quotient by a notch), then let's save the Planet already, I'm gonna 'bag' me one of those!

My precious...

* 'I'm not a Plastic Bag' goes on sale in Sainsbury's stores nation-wide on 25 April, at 8am. Each store will carry only 30 bags. I've already briefed Mum to queue alongside me on that day. Sales are limited to 1 per customer so let's see whether I'm lucky enough to score one! Do you think Q-ing at 7:30am is kiasu enough? Do ya? Do ya? Keep your fingers crossed for me, peeps!

4 comments:

Pooh said...

Go KS S'porean GO!
:P Heeheee....

Pooh said...

PS: Fingers, toes & eyes crossed. :D

Unknown said...

too funny! but the bag is quite cute - if you do score one, and I hope you do - please post a picture of yourself holding it in your supermarket best!

Shalom said...

wahaha... Sylvia they should have asked you to front "Bring Your Own Bag Day" in Singapore =)

Itz really quite a nice bag. Why didn't our govt think of getting our local designers to come up with a fresh idea like that?

I'd like to see one that is printed to look like a plastic bag but that is really like those kind of laminated cloth bags you can find in Harrods.

Supermarket fashion... sounds fun! I think I'd be Q-ing along with U guys or going there at 6 to chope a place for us all if I was in London too hahaha.

Geri