Saturday, December 01, 2007

8Days

The week that just passed was certainly an eventful one. Let's see...

I was infected with that festering, icky illness involving innards and putrid gases. Hubs kindly took leave to help me 'jaga' the little one but in turn, fell ill. His was mild though, and didn't require a gas-mask. Phew.

Holed up at home with little to do but be ill, I embarked on a movie marathon. Caught up with movies I had been meaning to watch:

  • High Fidelity - Great dialog. Well-cast with John Cusack and Jack Black.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (Dead Man's Chest) - Love Captain Jack Sparrow. What a hoot!
  • Chronicles of Narnia - Sooooo good. There were scenes that gave me goosebumps, probably evoked by the majestic soundtrack. I actually cried during Aslan's execution. Yes, I cried over a CGI Lion.
  • Angela's Ashes - Excellent. A biography by Frank McCourt about his impoverished family, how they struggled to survive in grotty Limerick,Ireland, and his strive to realise his dream of beginning a new life in America. I think my Dad would enjoy this.
  • Becoming Jane - I actually need a WHOLE SECTION for this one. But perhaps I'll leave the gushing for another post. Oh what the heck! Here's a sampling -- the on-screen chemistry between Anne Hathaway and cheeky James McAvoy! The prim and propriety of the era! The stately dances! The language, oh the language! I was drunk on poetic phrases like 'connubial felicity', 'deficient in rapture', 'a canker to society'... and of course, the tale of ill-fated love that left me weeping silent tears.
my favourite scene. Sigh...

Not all movies rented (from our local library) were good though. There were a couple of duds, and then there were those Dee chose.

There's actually a running joke between us regarding our tastes in movies. We always baulk at each other's choices. He scoffs at my 'A-grade' Merchant Ivory/ Austen-type classics, arty-farty productions, tear-jerking dramas, whilst I dismiss his fervent recommendations that 'Scary Movie 3' is a must-see (!!!!) . Or worse, UltraViolet? Resident Evil? Eragon??!!! Ergh.

But enough about us.

Wed~ Thurs: Once recovered, I became a babysitter for 2 days. Helped my Shanghainese friend, Yao, babysit her 3YO while she flew home to attend to some urgent family matters. Having Meilin around surprisingly took a load-off as the girls were able to play unattended, leaving me time to potter around the house, undisturbed.

the girls drawing together

Friday: I defied the wet elements and went crazy running errands, buying Christmas gifts. I brought Danielle - on a whim - to 'Smarty Paints' to do more clay painting, tried out a new family-friendly cafe called 'Munchkin Lane', and popped into the library. All in all, a v good day.

A transformation: from snowman...

...to clown?!

Saturday: Over the weekend, Hubs and I decided we should try to get more out of London, seeing it's a mere 7 months before we move back to SGP. We explored Shepard's Bush & Holland Park (although somewhat cursorily), took bus 148 to Bayswater and tried the dim sum at Royal China. It's found its way to the top of our list of good yumcha joints in London. Beats Imperial China and Gerrard's Corner hands down. Our personal favourites - the spicy chicken feet and jew yim siew yao.

After settling our bellies, we went window shopping at Whiteley's. Danielle got to visit a rather un-pudgy Santa in his grotto. For forgetting her name during the meet-and-greet session and for having to pay a hefty 5 pounds to see him - I have 2 words: Bah! Humbug!

The perfect Christmas card photo
but I'm not in it! :(

Sunday: Yet another bloomin' rainy day, we decided to heed Reuben's suggestion to sample English tea at Liberty. He reckoned the scones there are better than The Orangery's. Whilst I found the scones good (but not necessarily superior to The Orangery's), I was unimpressed by its mural-ed surroundings. The high-tea did not disappoint, and we enjoyed the 3-tiered high-tea selection consisting savoury sandwiches and delectable cakes - all washed down with swirls of lovely Earl Grey tea.

It was, the perfect end to a week.

tea served in classic china

the 3 of us shared 1 set.
I love these tiered trays. So English!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tea at Liberty looks exquisite, I wanna try! There's this place called Tea Palace at Westbourne Grove which is pretty good too :)

Val

Anonymous said...

Wah lao eh.. I must lay me hands on the Jane Austen Movie..


Skiver A

Anonymous said...

Ohh... i miss those scones..:)

Looks like you had a good time 'playing' sick..:) Glad you had a good rest. Hope you are feeling better now

Is Me

Roslyn said...

Great pic of Dennis and Danielle by the Xmas tree. Yah, too bad you're not in it.