Friday, December 14, 2007

(en)Raptured by Richmond

Although it was rather misty & grey, I still think this a pretty shot of the River Thames running through the borough of Richmond.

Cheeks and I ventured to Richmond today to catch up with Cassandra and her baby Gabby. Although we had to endure 2 Line changes, the journey continued largely unfrazzled. Cheeks amused herself doodling princesses, kings with crowns heavily bedecked with jewels, tall pointy towers, and men with long, long, looong beards. There's been a recent obsession with fairytale folk, see.

As Cass walked us from the train station to her house, I took in the sights surreptitiously amidst conversation. Richmond High Street is awash with a hodge-podge of shops - independent speciality shops juxtaposed with mega chainstores, quaint cafes opposing dime-a-dozen coffeechains and fastfood outlets. A fantastic trawling ground, thought I, as we weaved in and out of major streets and minor alleys. Not unlike Northcote Road in Clapham Junction, only bigger.

Rory, Cass' almost 2YO, was away at nursery so Cheeks had full access to his toys. She explored the living room - taking time to acquaint herself with his musical Thomas the Engine, then sighting his masak masak toys, promptly emptied the lot and began playing chef. And once Gabby woke up from her nap, she asked eagerly if the wee babe could play with her.

It was heartwarming seeing her interact with 4mth old Gabby. She took a genuine interest in the sweetpea, stroking her hair and oh-so-puffy cheeks, talking to her in gentle hushed tones, even linking their fingers together the way I do with her when we're reading stories in bed. I think my daughter would like to be a che-che soon. So please God, hear our prayers...

After a comforting meal of spaghetti bolognese (a recipe by River Cottage ?), I took the opportunity to leaf through some of the MANY recipe books Cass has in collection - Jamie Oliver (practically the whole series!), Nigella Express, River Cottage etc. Spoilt for choice, I finally decided on Nigella's, simply because...well, I like her. She is rather pretty, isn't she?

Before we headed for home, Cass brought me to a tea place she likes to frequent called The Tea Box.

It was perfect.

From pretty hanging chandeliars to heavy, wooden antique furniture, the newly-opened cafe offered more than a welcome respite from the blistering cold. Its vast range of teas and irresistable array of home-made cakes made the experience unforgettable. I ordered a Vanilla Black tea which was smooth, sweet and smelled absolutely gorgeous. Each sip from the brew was so warm and comforting, I felt like I was all tucked up, nice and snug, in a woolly blanket. Cheeks nodded off to sleep on the way to the cafe leaving Cass and I to enjoy our cuppas and chat in peace.

As we parted ways, and Cheeks and I made our way slowly back to the station, I took one last lingering look at Richmond and promised myself that I'd be back. Soon.

With its romantic riverwalks, sprawling heath, secluded cafés, and pretty bespoke shops - it's hard not to fall in love with a place like Richmond.


And, another one because it's Christmas...



No comments: