Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Season of Farewells (Part 2)

In response to this week's most FAQ: How are you feeling? I have but one pithy answer-- Wobbly. Like the English weather.

We've been experiencing rather erratic spells of weather here - swaying pendulously from resplendent bursts of sunshine to overcast, gloom and doomey downpours. But most days, the weather just wants to play peekaboo, the naughty thing. It teases us with slivers of sunlight then quickly draws the curtains with thick clouds of grey. It's going to rain, it's not going to rain, not, rain, not - we toss coins, chew our fingers raw, and shoot contemptuous looks at the umbrella, hoping we won't have to use THAT.

So you see, wobbly.

Likewise, my mood.

This week's been tough. Knowing it's our last week in London is tough. The mere thought of not seeing this place for a long long time is excruciating.

I find it difficult to move on yet have no choice. Time leaves me no options. So onward, I trudge.

Yet, despite the undulating emotions - I do have happy spurts - I am aware that God IS Good.

ALL. THE. TIME.

These past 2 years, He's seen to our every need, brought fantastic people into our lives, opened doors for us, healed us, comforted us, strengthened us.

I don't want to think that all good things come to an end. Instead, I want to know that things only get better. I may not see it now. But I'm sure they will.

Afterall, He knows better.

+++

We visited Ros and family in Egham (Surrey) on Tuesday. The initial plan was to board the G1 to Clapham Junction. But as inconsistencies in feeder buses go, G1 never came. So, I had to abort the idea and hopped onto 2 buses instead. Despite the glitch in transportation, I was unfazed. Afterall, the weather was GREAT. No one's allowed to be grumpy or mopey when good weather's in full swing, you know?

We always have a swell time at Ros'. Despite my initial protests to bring my own lunch (didn't want her to be stressed over cooking), I backed down when she assured me she'd whip up 'something simple'.

Riiiight.

Ros' first-class bak chor mee

After lunch, Cheeks attended a music class with Lavigne. She'd attended the same one on a previous occasion and had thoroughly enjoyed it. This time, however, she 'forbade' me to participate so I had no choice but to watch on as the other young 'uns trotted and tumbled with their mummies. She wanted to be independent so I let her. But I did so want to stamp my feet like a hippo and gallop like a pony. Hmph.

After the half-hour class, the 2 girls had time to play in the field next to the music class venue before we all trooped to pick Louisa up from her school.

We had tea back at Ros', followed Louisa to her music class (Lavigne and Cheeks played catch on the field outside with other children, blew bubbles) then all too soon, it was time to say goodbye.

As the South West train pulled up at the station, I took one lingering glance at Egham and said a silent farewell to the family who have enriched our lives so much with their warmth and friendship.

We'll certainly miss Ros and the girls. 10 months of friendship was too short, yet sufficient to seal our friendship. I look forward to catching up with them when they next visit Singapore.

In fact, I can scarcely wait.

1 comment:

Roslyn said...

Thank you, too, for your friendship. You'll be sorely missed. We Leungs wish the Chans the very best in Singapore.