Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Season of Farewells (Part 1)

Women are a sentimental lot. We form attachments easily. We love to reminisce bygone days. We cling onto memories. We find it hard to let go...

Oh, I'm sorry, am I wrong to generalise?

Maybe it's just me. I am exceedingly sentimental. Almost to a fault.

This statue, 'Little Dancer of Fourteen Years' is by famous french artist, Edgar Degas, who was said to have turned to sculpturing when - hampered by deteriorating vision - was forced to give up painting.

When I began taking an interest in Impressionism and the artists who began this revolutionary art movement, I was particularly drawn to Degas because of his choice of subjects - dancers. I always thought he captured them on canvas so beautifully. He never drew them in arabesque, instead chose to show them involved in backstage activities or rehearsing.

And now, I have even more reason to feel an attachment to his work...

Cheeks and I met up with Val and Luke yesterday. To say goodbye.

We've always enjoyed our time with them. We've shared laughs, chatted, watched our children bicker and play well with each other. We've trawled tearooms together, sipped copious amounts of tea, sampled all kinds of cakes and pastries.

So, it seemed apt that our 'last' activity with them would involve all the above.

I chose The Orangery at Kensington Gardens because it's always been very dear to me. Ah, the number of friends and family I entertained within its whitewashed walls. It was THE place I developed the penchant for English tea (the activity, not just the drink). The place where Cheeks, Dee and I first enjoyed tea together. I'll remember fondly the squirrels skirting behind bushes and trees, the beautifully manicured bushes that look like giant 'thimbles' standing in line on the well-shorn lawn.

Cheeks and Luke in motion

I'm rambling...

I'll never look at Degas' 'Little Dancer' the same way again. Coz she was given to me by Val, on her farewell card to me, filled with beautiful, touching words.

Val/Luke - saying 'Thank you' isn't enough. Our London memories will always be filled with the sounds of pattering, running feet, trills of laughter, playdates that basked in warmth of the summer sun, shivered through the thick of winter... the smiles that light up your faces.

there was a better one taken by Cheeks but I kinda like this one.
I thought it was a well captured moment, don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

read your blog today. brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

The photos, the memories...all priceless. *sentimental sob*

Val