Thursday, July 10, 2008

Goodbyes and... Hello? Are you an Academy Award- and Golden Globe-nominated actress?

Today was Cheeks' last day at nursery. I brought the camera along (like I'd ever leave home without it. Pooh!) to take snaps of Cheeks with her teachers and friends.


Suffice to say, it was bittersweet.

We were inundated with kind words from mothers wishing us the very best, bidding us farewell. Cheeks was smothered with cuddles from classmates, teachers and other non-teaching staff at school. Everyone was lovely.

Cheeks wanted to take pictures with EVERYONE. Unfortunately, some children were not at school that day, their mothers opting to start their summer holidays earlier. Sorely missing were pictures with Poppy, Sebestian, Boyd, Amelia and Maddie.

Cheeks went around announcing excitedly that she was 'going to Singapore!' and that she would be 'leaving London!' I'm glad she seems chuffed by the idea that she's going home soon. I just hope she knows she's not coming back. It's not another holiday. She won't return to this nursery after Summerbreak, nor will she see her friends, or walk through our big red door again.

+++

And now, I'd like to tell you what else we did today! I brought Cheeks to Hampstead to meet children's author, Lauren Child, of 'Charlie and Lola' fame. We trundled bumpity bump (with Cheeks in her buggy) to Daunt Books at South End Road for the book signing. It was publicised as an event to raise funds for UNICEF so I showed my support by purchasing the enhanced copy of 'That Pesky Rat'.

Cheeks meets her favourite author, Lauren Child! Woo hoo!

It was a thrill for us to see a 'minor celebrity' - albeit a children's author - so up close and personal. And Ms Child was utterly charming and down-to-earth. But very tardy! She showed up an hour late for the event. Tsk tsk! But everyone was all smiles the minute she arrived.

Hello? Hang on! Who is this I spot decked in a Vivienne Westwood-esque gingham skirt and dark glasses? Can it be? Have my prayers of finally meeting a star in celestial London been answered?

It had.

It was. Her.

I flubbered like an idiot. I asked for a photograph (what's the camera for anyway? I ask you!). I was as happy as a pig in muck because lo! She may not be Dame Judi Dench, Gwyneth Paltrow Julie Christie, or Helen Mirren Taylor (all Academy award winners), but she's still a star in her own gothic, quirky, movie right.

Behold! I present to you...

Me (grinning like a Cheshire cat) and Ms Helena Bonham-Carter!
Oh Ivory Merchant, Oh Sweeney Todd, Oh Oh!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey she is tat evil gal from Harry Potter! How cool is tat?? Was she nice?????
Eh and by the way ah.. can you remove Gwyneth Paltrow from your list.. she is American... don't spoil it..

Love you loads..

Skiver A

Anonymous said...

Waaaaaaaaah, a pic with a real life celebrity! One for the books! Or maybe the living room wall :P I saw her once at a Westbourne Grove cafe...she dresses really weird, like her choice of roles but she has a beautiful face.

Aiyah, I would have wanted to see a pic of the object of D's affection, Sebastien,

Val

Anonymous said...

Wow lucky you. She might not be an 'A list' celeb but is a very good actress. i love her in Room With a View.

And oh, I finally got my hands on Becoming Jane 2 weeks ago (so highly recommended by you and HMV is having a sale). I like it so much, I watched it twice already!

Saggs said...

glad you enjoy it too, Cass! And I love 'Room with a view' too! I just got it from HMV, 7 quid! Woohoo!

Daughter Of Sarah said...

I AM SO ABSOLUTELY ENVIOUS! =D

I LOVE HELENA BC (!!!!!!!!!!) and we have become fans of Charlie and Lola here thanks to your constant recommendations (also because whenever we listen to the 2 characters we think of little Danielle - we miss her a lot too y'know. grins. )