Friday, June 13, 2008

Remembering... How Great Thou Art

So there we were - half sprinting, half briskwalking, trying to get ourselves home in record time to unlock the main door, hurl our grocery bags onto the carpet, slam the door, lock it, then dash all the way to Cheeks' nursery. Hopefully, in time for school.

Despite the flurry and fluster, Cheeks, between pants, was able to conduct a (rather one-way) discussion with me regarding God:

D: Mummy, God is great, isn't He?
M: Hhehh hheh hhehhhhh. (this is me panting, btw.)
D: He knows what's good for us, right?
D: He knows what we should eat.
D: He knows what's best for us.
D: Mummy, without God, we'd be human bones.
M: Bo...? (silenced by sheer exhaustion *pant* from all that sprintwalking. *pant* Therefore *pant * unable to articulate. *pant* Manage to look quizzically (enough) at her to *pant* signal my incomprehension regarding her last statement. *pant pant*)
D: (mildly affronted) Ye-ess?! If God didn't make our bodies. We'd just be bones! Right? Huh.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Nod. Nod.

+++

Later, as I take the Tube to Leicester Square to buy some fresh supplies for the steamboat we're having with the Lanes tonight, I think to myself how incredibly simple yet true her words were/are.

A waft of something familiar distracts me. I watch a fellow commuter peel the skin, then chomp carefully on her ripe banana. And I thank God for my sense of smell and for the delicious fruit He's provided for us all.

I think of my conversation with Mona (Jelani's mum. Cheeks' friend at nursery). She tells me today that she'll 'miss us' when we return to Singapore. I think of all the kind, sweet words from schoolmums/playdates/friends here, telling us our absence will be felt, and our presence missed.

And I think about all the lovely messages from friends and family in Singapore, telling us how they can't wait for us to be back.

Then, for the first time after (what's been) a loooong time of feeling sore about it, I thank God for 2 of the BEST years of my life. Although I know I'll still miss the family life we have here, I am finally submitting it all to Him. Because He knows what's best. So I'm thankful for having had 2 wonderful, close-knit years with my Cheeks and Dee.

2 years of priceless, happy, cherished memories. Together.

And I think of how timely this reminder is. How glad I am that my 3YO can talk to me about God.

How in her own little way, she's prompted me of God's promises and His love for us. Jeremiah 29:11~13.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear Hear!


Skiver A

As The Deer said...

Haha Chi Chi there you go! She has the mind of Christ! Danielle - yippee for you! What a great observation little one. =) You are greatly blessed!

It is interesting to note that there is deeper meaning to what she says. When we are dried bones - we are devoid of joy and are just filled with curses in the land of Egypt... we are bitter and all shrunk up with anger and disappointment.