Sunday, June 08, 2008

Effects of Time

I'm still finding London chilly at night. Me toes are turning ghastly blue as I squat here, perched on my stool, attempting to blog after the looooonnnngggg-ong-ong-ong (echo echo echo) hiatus.

It feels like a long time. And yet, it hasn't been. Has it?

I no longer see it fit to use the phrase 'Time flies'. Because to me, Time doesn't fly, it's evanescent.

A 13 hour flight, a one-way plane ticket, that flight across continents are all that separate me from here and there.

First Chichi was here.

Now, she's somewhere out there, in the clouds, snoozing as she flies over some country? Or perhaps she's keeping herself entertained with inflight movies. I hope they are good and make up for the undoubtedly horrendous service she'll receive from BA.

Sometime tomorrow, her almost 3-week holiday will come to a close. She'll be reunited with family.

Before long, so will we.

...

Every holiday earns me a new stamp on my passport, a new 'momento-magnet' on our fridge.

Every step I take now brings me closer and closer to home.

I loved having Chichi here. I loved throwing open our doors and showing her what life in the UK is like for us. I loved being able to show her around, cook for her, share experiences with her. Just having her around to talk to, and being a little sister all over again.

But this 'now you see me, now you don't' disappearing act is getting a bit too achy-chokey for my fragile fraying nerves.

Our last day is coming soon. It'll soon be our turn to be here one day, and not, the next.

...

Now here's a newsbreak. The good people (note the mild sarcasm) at the real estate company have lay claim to the apartment. Notice the hard-to-miss 'TO LET' sign that's been hammered into the ground right outside our soon-to-be-ex flat? A stark reminder that, yes yes, we'll be vacating soon.

them vultures. Bah!

Now, music moments!

Do you ever wonder why certain songs pop into your head? For no apparent reason? You've not heard them lately - not a single note, bar, section of melody. Nothing! Nada nyet nein.

Once in awhile - and if you allow it to - the past finds ways of creeping up on you. In my case, through music. This tune's been filling my head all night. I don't know how or why I pulled this out from my memory vault. I have trouble remembering personal events, much less songs from days of yore? Anyway, despite keeping it in cold storage - gathering cobwebs in some remote part of my grey, no doubt - this song remains an evergreen and I love that I can effortlessly belt out its lyrics despite the memory lapse.

(So it's teeny-bopperish. Stop them eyes from going all rolley polly on me.)



* oh, and I promise the next entry will be more upbeat!

3 comments:

Roslyn said...

So how was your Venice trip? I'm sure you have tonnes of fridge magnets to bring home. You're making me emotional with this entry.

Anonymous said...

hey.. finally a shot of you in a gondola in Venice. I see Danni sneaking to get into the shot..:) She is looking taller again..:)

This entry resounds strikes a familiar chord of feelings we go through in the many opening and closing chapters of our lives.. the coming and going.. the happy anticipation and the sad farewells.. hey, there is still time..Enjoy your time in UK dearie..i am glad i got to share that part of your life with you..

Onward to new adventures..:)

Just Me

As The Deer said...

I know what you mean chi... =)

and see lah now that i see Debbie Gibson's name on ur post, i keep humming "Foolish Beat"... lol.