Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Openings & Closures

A few months ago while on our way to the supermarket, Cheeks and I noticed the beginnings of renovation work taking place at a long-vacant corner shop.

We were curious, if not a little excited.

We watched the shop slowly take shape. Every chance we had, we'd peek inquisitively through openings left by the dog-eared newspaper sheets plastered over its windowpanes. We'd eye the woodplanks that leant against walls, cans of paint, bags of cement/plaster, wiring, boxes of store fixtures, piping that littered the pavement.

It wasn't long before we realised the shop was going to be a - very much hoped-for - cafe.

As fresh cafe posters replaced the crinkled newspapers at the windowpanes, I began to wonder whether we'd have a chance to sit and enjoy a cuppa at the cafe before leaving London. Opening Soon wasn't precise enough.

But Soon came sooner than expected and the cafe opened its doors to us on 21 May 2008. Dee's birthday. I remember the day well as it was the day chichi arrived to London.

Thank you...

I know it sounds awfully trifle - even shallow - to be happy over the opening of a cafe. But in a way, I felt we were given time - time to enjoy that bit more of London living.

The cafe is certainly nothing to shout about. In fact, it's a coffee chain that's a dime a dozen in London. But every experience seems impossibly precious now. I find myself clinging possessively to every sight, smell, taste, sound, memory, and finding it so very hard to let go.

I'm not quite ready to close this chapter of my life just yet. I'm not ready to say goodbye. So I think I'll linger a little longer.

(I really want to apologise for the incessant moping on this blog. But if you don't like what you read, just close the blogsite. It's that easy.)

1 comment:

As The Deer said...

=D Danielle has grown so much! She was a little sweetie pie in the before pic and after pic, she is a grown up little lady. =D

I wish I had been able to tour England more - well all of Europe more - when I was studying in UK. I was too distracted by some stuff back home and well... blooming depression... to have realised how much I missed out.

I still remember how I ONLY finally walked on Brighton's pebbled beach on the LAST day. I wish I could have spent more time on the beach and it was summer. Lovely. I had never ventured on it coz the beach called up thoughts of those acupuncture paths HDB sets up for old people to walk on. Lol.

I wish I had gone hand gliding too - hand gliding is available in Brighton or Hove.

Ah well. I am sure Daddy will bless Ian and I so I can go back there. I strangely dream about Brighton quite a lot... about returning there and stuff. =)